1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone Into Venus Flytraps?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by SCT, Aug 17, 2012.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Another hobby I just picked up. Well, I always had an interest for flytraps just like any other kid when I was a kid. Now that I'm 26, why not.

[​IMG]
    ^ My typical flytrap digesting a spider I had given it.

[​IMG]
    ^ My typical flytrap.

Once my other ones get nicer and mature, I'll take pics of them as well.

• Like Like x 4
  2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I dig'em!...I have a tendency to buy one every once in a while from Home Depot. I think they're neat!

I just can't keep them alive :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Yea, when I was younger, they'd die a week later. After some research, their treatment is a bit different than a normal plant. No tap water, only rainwater or distilled (no chemicals, etc.) and nutrient poor soil. And fondling the trap for fun everytime is not good. I'm still surprised that there's large enthusiast population for these and other carnivorous plant.

One venus flytrap cultivar that is rare... called the DC-XL... the forum that I am on for the flytrap... they just sold that flytrap on ebay for $465! That's a new m4/3 lense or two.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam

465! Sheesh, try explaining that purchase to your significant other.

"But sweetheart, with this new Zeiss I can take better pictures of you" line doesn't work here

• Like Like x 1
  5. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    LOL Exactly what I said in the thread about it at the forum. Someone made a thread asking why would someone pay that much. If it's not a Louis Vuitton bag or something, you're in cold waters.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Cool shots - they look like some kind of futuristic battle axe! Fun! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool close shots. Nice color contrast.

I gave one to my Mom probably 2-3 years back and I'm amazed it's still alive. There have been some moments when I thought it was over, but it seems to be a support little plant.

• Like Like x 1
  8. johnc

johnc Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2011
    Fascinating.

And great images.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

"Anyone into Venus Flytraps?"

Sorry, not since my ex left ...

:wink:

Great photos, neat plants! Have to love a plant that will eat a darned housefly. Yah!

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah...childhood memories...

Great stuff! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Here's one. Did you know they are native only to a small part of North and South Carolina?
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/7808501170/" title="Venus Flytrap by Vincent-F-Tsai (Spatulaboy), on Flickr"> 7808501170_6e7d61346e_c. "800" height="600" alt="Venus Flytrap"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  12. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Which is quite weird but very unique to me. Next time I drive through the Carolinas, I'm definitely getting a few. Of course, from a store since I know they have buttloads for sale cheap, I respect mother nature so I wouldn't go plucking free stuff.... maybe pictures.

13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I really enjoyed reading about these critters. I remember seeing one as a kid at the nursery, and the astonishing result of pushing my finger into the hole.

Thanks for putting these up!

• Like Like x 1
  14. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    No VFTs, but got some other CP shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    They are protected, so wild harvesting is a big no-no.