Anyone Interested in Fuji's X70?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by agentlossing, Jan 21, 2016.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    So, I have an on-off fascination with the Fuji system, occasionally salivating over the latest X100 model or what-not, but I actually find the X70 pretty interesting.

Looks super small, maybe close to GM1/GM5 size, although it has a decent grip. The tilty flippy screen is something I miss for waist/stomach-level shooting on the GM models. Oh, and that lens is tiny! If it's truly very sharp then it would be great for street and landscape. Also, phase detect sensors in such a small body is intriguing if it actually leads to faster, surer AF in low light or tracking movement.

Anyone else gonna be watching this one closely?

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If they would've put a 35mm lens on it, no doubt. However I've never really gotten along with the 28mm FoV, as it's not nearly as wide as 24mm, but not a tight as 35mm, both focal lengths I enjoy shooting at. 28mm just falls in a dead space for me personally.

Having said that, I like the design of the camera very much, but the FoV is a deal breaker for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you are interested in the X70, you would have already been interested in a Ricoh GR or Coolpix A, both of which have sold for much less.

I also was hoping it was a 35mm, but 28mm f2.8 is a bit boring (except for landscapes).

4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    But that's an X100, right? So were you guys hoping for a lower-end version of that camera?

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've been interested in the GR, the Nikon honestly doesn't have the specs to quite compare with either of the others. I'm interested to see if the X70 reaches a street price comparable to the Ricoh.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yes. Smaller and more pocket-able with the same sensor.

7. tkbslc

You say "lower end". I say "more compact and affordable". How ever you want to phrase it. The X100 is as big as my GX7 with a pancake lens and more expensive.

I just can't get too excited about another "me-too" clone product. X70 may be a nice product, but as I said, if I really wanted that kind of camera I'd have bought one of the existing options (or plopped a 14mm f2.5 on a slim m4/3 body).

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The X70 has a tilty-touch screen and labelled setting dials for people who are into that. As a compromise, it's 10mm thicker and $100-200 more expensive than the otherwise comparable Ricoh GR, which also does not require a lens-cap (3mm thinner still), and has excellent ergonomics for street photography. The GR can legitimately slip into a pants pocket, more easily even than an RX100 III or IV. The X70 definitely cannot.

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I think its a more interesting camera than many people are giving it credit for. I like that it can be used like a TLR but with a touchscreen - something neither the Coolpix A, or GR can do...and you've got all your exposure controls visible whether the camera is on or off. It also looks incredibly good and has the benefits of the X-Trans II sensor (which initially I didn't like but have come to appreciate). All that said, I don't think its the size of a GM1/GM5. Its not a whole lot smaller than the X100T (Correction - its definitely smaller than the X100T, but still quite a bit bigger than the GM1/5. Its also bigger than the GR.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm glad someone else at least has an interest in it, I was beginning to think I was crazy! (Oh, wait, I am.) I'll have to get my hands on one to grasp its physical dimensions. It did look fairly smaller than the X100 in the photos I've seen.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    More E-PL7 size than GM1/GM5 sized. But still a good deal smaller than the X100.

When I first heard about the build in TC I thought they were talking about a true TC and not a digital one. If it were then it would have been really interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

The X70 is available at the Camerasize website.
    Compact Camera Meter
    I've been using the Coolpix A for several months now. It takes very good pictures, seems very well built, and I enjoy using it. It doesn't have a tilt screen, but costs about half of the price of the X70.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Actually, as I like using the Panasonic grip with the GM5, those size comparisons look like it's going to be pretty close!

14. tkbslc

I bought this weird compact at a thrift shop that had a dual focal length lens. It was a 35mm f2.8 prime, but when you hit some button it turned into a 70mm f5.6. Not sure if it was just a 2 position zoom or if it had some kind of TC built internally. I think it was a RIcoh, but I didn't keep it for long.

Maybe it isn't any easier than just doing a zoom, but I've often thought that maybe you could do a camera with just a 2 position prime lens "zoom". Imagine if the X100 had a 35mm and 85mm positions, both at f2, and with a 2 position OVF that could handle both equally well. Maybe that's harder than it sounds, but it seems pretty cool. Not all of us really care about having every step and would be fine with just both extremes of a short standard zoom range.

15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    As much as I enjoy the hybrid viewfinder of the X100 series cameras, had the X70 been available when I replaced my X100S with an X100T, I may very well have gone for the X70. It indeed is significantly smaller, and I find myself using the rear LCD of the X100T much more than I anticipated. I also tend to stop the lens down to f2.8 for increased sharpness, which from what I've read is not necessary with the X70. I also really enjoy the tilting touchscreen on my GX7. Fuji JPEGS are truly wonderful (provided you aren't shooting skin tones above ISO3200) and Fuji's implementation of the in camera RAW converter is something I wish more camera manufacturers would emulate. The more and more I look at it, the X70 could really be a near perfect daily carry camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David

Yes that's how I compared them, thought they have the numbers mixed up. Put the GM5 in front of the x70, it's about 10mm narrower.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

17. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Kodak had a 110 film camera called a Tele-Instamatic that had two focal lengths. One compromise I like is when P&S cameras have an option that makes click stops on their zoom rings. You can click from 28 to 35 to 50 to 85 without having to look at a scale and guess where you are.

The X100 has a couple of conversion lenses that screw on the front, one wide angle and one that is more of a telephoto. Fuji has a wide angle conversion lens for the X70 already. Maybe they will announce a tele lens later.
    Lens Accessories | Fujifilm Global

18. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm not the slightest bit interested in conversion lenses for a fixed-lens camera - that's what my M4/3 system is for! But I do really like the 28mm fov, the only reason I got rid of my 14mm f2.5 a couple years ago is that I didn't like the mediocre sharpness (may rethink that and re-buy one eventually, though). The X70 looks to be easier to pocket than the GM5 with 14mm lens, and that's with a nicely inconspicuous flip screen for street.

19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    There are a few "dual focal" lenses out there. Soligor made several of them like a 28/35mm f3.5/3.8 and a 80/135 f4. They didn't tend to have any advantages over their zoom based companions, I think they were just slightly easier to design when zooms were a new innovation. I'm not sure any of them made it past the 70s...

Obviously there are also the famous Leica Tri-Elmars which are extraordinarily expensive. I wonder if they were used just because zooms would be extremely difficult to frame using a rangefinder? It's hard to tell.

A 35/85 f2 would need to be at least as large as an 85/f2, and maybe not that different a job from designing a 35-85 f2, as it's still using the same optical elements...which is to say, exceptionally difficult, I imagine!

20. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    At one point, I was interested in picking up the GR to replace my aging GR3. Now that the X70 has been announced, my interest in the GR has been curbed. At least until I can play with one at my local dealer.