anyone interested in Canon G1X Mark II?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jyc860923, Apr 7, 2014.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    read about the specs, I like that Canon's offering a great overall update built around the original sensor, handled at the store too, everything looks fine including AF speed, but I haven't got a chance to pixel peep. with the 24-120 equiv. f/2.0-3.9 lens the G1X Mark II is only for the price of an Oly 12 f2.0, what do you guys think? nothing in this price range seems to outperform IMHO

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    They removed the viewfinder and added a $299 accessory EVF, so if you want a VF you are looking at $1100, but at least its smaller.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If I were going to buy a super zoom, I'd go for the Stylus 1.

4. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    The G1X isn't a super zoom...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. I was interested but despite some nice new and improved features they made a couple of fundamental changes that I wasn't keen on and I couldn't bear to part with my MkI G1X anyhow.

6. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I have to admit Canon caught my interest with this camera but then I realized that what I'm really interested in is a similarly sized m43 collapsible zoom with that range and max apertures that I can use with my E-M5 :biggrin:

7. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I have to admit I want that too, probably we all do, I mean the sensor size is actually very close to m43, and if Canon can make a lens like that for such sized sensor, no way we can't have it. I see this camera as Canon's fixed lens m43:tongue: (am I stupid to think that?)

8. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Nic so glad you like the G1X, and I did noticed your G1X shots on Flickr and that's why I appreciate the "upgrade" Canon has made around the same 1.5 inch sensor. The most obvious change would be the view finder however having a Fujifilm X10 and an E-PL5 with VF-4, I think there are a lot to like about the EVF, as opposed to the OVF on the Fuji, is that the change you find difficult to accept? I still need to see some wide open full res sample to convince me purchasing the Canon though.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Sounds like a great camera for someone who does not want to start a lens collection . Canon is the only company besides Leica who seems to be developing this type of model because they don't need to worry about undermining a mirror less business he he.

10. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    That's basically how I see it as well.

Here's a set with full res samples comparing G1X Mk. I & II and a 6D with 24L 1.4.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpderuiter/sets/72157642992889504/

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It IS. Definitely.
    The bad thing is the lenses can't make use of the large-sensor goodness like our 45, 75 F1.8 etc etc.

And now without the dinky OVF its just another ... err ... well, the Leica X-Vario springs to mind.

12. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    yes good news is it's cheaper than the x vario, i love the leica but can't justify buying it for the f/3.5-6.3

13. No, I don't regret the removal of the OVF at all. Tunnel OVFs like those in the G-series Canons with less than 90% coverage and the lens visible in the frame belong in the past. The changes that I didn't like in the MkII is the tilt-only screen instead of the fully articulated screen, and the loss of the front multi-function dial (replaced with a lens ring dial).

• Like Like x 1