1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone in the SF Bay area? The Bay Lights

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jziegler, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I just saw this on the NPR website, it should make for some good photos. An artist is setting up a lot of LED lights on the Bay Bridge, and they will be lighting up in various patterns starting on Tuesday night. It is scheduled to run for the next two years.

Artist Prepares To Light Up San Francisco's Bay Bridge Like Never Before : The Two-Way : NPR

There's a video on the link.

I'll be interested in seeing what photos any members in the area, or visiting there, will get.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been scheming on how to get the shot I want ... gotta be panoramic and from the top of the MediaAmerica building looking out west of maybe from the 880/580 flyover next to the Ikea. Logistically difficult but it looks very promising!

Tough to get rooftop access ...

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    A panorama from this angle would be much easier (not as interesting though):
    P8150582-184.
    Glad that it will run for 2 years, so that I'll have a chance to capture it the next time I'm in SF...

4. RobWatson

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Agree that the background would be much more interesting looking back at SF from the Oakland side...

6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I'd say try Treasure Island. You'll get the bridge to the left and the city right in front of you. Oakland is going to be pressed to see it as clearly.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I think you'll need a boat and go west of the bridge in order to get The City ion the background.

GRAA0191-L.

G

8. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Not that bridge ;)

It's on the San Francisco side of the Bay Bridge.

9. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Oops ... right the Bay Bridge.

11. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    This thread reminded me of a local news article that came out recently indicating that prior to the new span of the bay bridge opening people are going to be able walk accross it for only one or two days.

Here's an article about in the the SF Gate for those that are interested, New Bay Bridge span will open with party - SFGate

12. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Yup, I'm looking forward to that. I will be out there with my camera.

:biggrin:

13. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Here are a couple

image18.

image19.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sge998

sge998 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    It was raining on the opening night so everyone around the wharf was hiding under the buildings.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/iccmecha/8551221570/" title="POLY0040 by iceCreamMecha, on Flickr">"1024" height="576" alt="POLY0040"></a>

15. RobWatson

Completely invisible from the east bay ... me and several 100 folks were grumbling quite a bit about that in the rain and hype. Nobody mentioned only the north side of the bridge was to be lit. Typical SF.

16. slam05

slam05 New to Mu-43

May 30, 2012
    Here is one from the lookout by Coit Tower on Saturday evening.

8551288423_f4e8840cc3_h_d.

17. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    It's barely visible from Treasure Island, since the lights seem to be positioned on the west-facing side of the north side cables. But we East Bayers now have bragging rights with the world's longest self-anchored suspension span!