1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone here using Corel software instead of Adobe?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by So Thankful, Dec 18, 2015.

1. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I am having nothing but trouble with the Adobe software on Windows 10.
    I am looking for a good alternative. Corel software seems like it might be it. Does anyone here use it? What are your thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If you go to Lightroom Forums, and watch the number of problems/complaints.......they are mostly coming from Win10 users. They are coming much less from users of older Win or Mac OS.

Lightroom Forums

If you want a LR replacement, consider Capture 1 Pro. They have great raw converters.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can download 30 day trials of Aftershot Pro and PaintShop Pro. If you are interested, check them out. Nothing to lose but some time.

I've been very impressed with PSP as a photoshop alternative. I wasn't as impressed with Aftershot, but it certainly does work. There are more options for RAW editor alternatives, though, like DxO, CaptureOne, ACDsee, etc.

Almost all have trials, so that's the best way to see if you like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I used Afteshot years ago when it was Bibble. It was a promising product back then but it's now a long way behind LR. Corel have done virtually nothing with it since they acquired it. As far as I am concerned it's now shelf ware.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  5. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Take a look at ACDsee. I tried Ultimate out on my Mac using Parallels (only runs on Window) and was impressed with it. If I change from Mac to Windows, it might be the PP software I'll use. Right now they are have a sale till Dec 29!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, ACDSee Ultimate 9 offers sophisticated photo management, excellent raw development (I really like how it handles ORF files), AND a layers based bit mapped editor that directly supports 32 and 64 bit Photoshop plugins. I wrote a mini review when it was released in September:

Glen Barrington - My Dynamic Range: An Experienced User's Notes on ACDSee Ultimate 9

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  7. GBarrington

I have long dreamed of leaving the Windows environment, but frankly, ACDSee is the only application I can't replace in the Mac environment and that is keeping me in Windows. So do you believe the ACDSee Ultimate 9 responsiveness is adequate in Parallels?

8. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I have the late 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB Ram. I allocated 2GB of RAM to windows and ACDSee was fine, though sluggish. I must confess, the other photo editing programs are getting sluggish as well- especially On1 Photo 10. A Mini is just not a good photo editing platform. Looking at the mini's at the Apple store, seems like they're pretty much selling what I bought in 2012- graphics card is different for the faster processors. You would be fine on a IMac or MacPro.

For me, the mac mini is just not worth the price Apple is charging for and not a computer for photo editing. I do not like the IMAC line- why throw away a monitor every time you need to upgrade? And the Mac Pro prices are just too much. I can buy a comparable PC for a lot less. Additionally, I have developed an dislike of Apple that started with the demise of Aperture. And I just bought 2 android phones that I can plug in microSD cards for a ton of storage and extra batteries too boot. Try that with an IPhone. I would think long and hard before migrating to apple.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    I'm using Corel plus some Topaz plug ins (I use Detail 3 mostly for sharpening). I don't use it for RAW. I use OLYs viewer 3 to process RAW and export as TIFF and then process the TIFF. As stated several times nothing seems to match OLY's own RAW processing.
    It is not the latest version of PSP but a few years old. I tend to only use basic editing functions. Even though it has layers I have not used this functionality. Also having never used LR I cannot comment on how it compares.
    It does the job for me and I am happy with it. I have no plans to upgrade or replace it.
    Running it on a win 7 32 bit laptop. It's a bit slow but runs OK, no crashes etc.

10. Been using PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate for a couple of years now and like it, but only use it for basic editing...tonality, cropping, etc. Also do my B&W conversions with this. X5 has NIK Color Efx 3.0 bundled...before Google kidnapped them...and the B&W conversion in it works nicely without getting overly complex. Unopened box versions can still be gotten on Amazon for $30-35. I still use OV3 for RAW processing > 16 bit TIFF > PSP...doing as much work as possible in 16 bit TIFF before making a JPEG.

11. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I am going to download trial versions of the Corel software and see what I think. If I like them I am dumping Adobe.

12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Before jumping ship, go look at the Corel user forum. Nearly everyone using it seriously jumped ship a year or two ago. Corel have almost stopped doing updates - including for new camera raw formats. I think there's a good chance they'll dump it in a year or two.

13. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Well crap!

14. GBarrington

Serif Photo Plus, ACDSee Ultimate, Gimp, Paint.net, Zoner Photo Studio Lots of choices and probably several I've probably missed.

15. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's a real pity. Circa 2009/2010 Bibble 5 was ahead of LR but then they ran out of money (I guess) and were late, late, late releasing Bibble 5. Then Corel acquired them and basically did nothing for a year. When they did something it was to remove features (Noise Ninja since their licence to use it had expired) and add a paltry list of new cameras. As I said, go look at the Corel user forum boards. There's almost no activity there any more and what activity there is is people moaning about the lack of support! All very sad - I still think it's more intuitive than LR and better in some ways (e.g. user-defined mask areas).

16. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    You're writing about Aftershot (née Bibble), not Paintshop. Two different products, and Paintshop seems more important to Corel so it probably gets more development, though Corel is rather notorious for slow-walking all the products it acquires. For any RAW developer, check whether your camera is supported, or otherwise you'll need to work from a TIFF.

17. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    According to the list I looked at the E-M5 and E-M5 MK II are both supported by After shot Pro 2

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

18. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I just checked ACDsee Ultimate 9 out. It looks like it might also be a good option.