Anyone here got a faulty m4/3 lens yet?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Vulpix, May 8, 2012.

1. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a Panny 7-14mm from BHPhoto since the savings is nearly SG$300 compared to the local price here. I have also checked with Panasonic SG, and warranty from America does not carry over to the APAC region, so I will be sacrificing that 1 year warranty.

So, does anyone know the failure rate of m4/3 lenses? What is usually the thing that fails on a m4/3 lens? I've only been on the platform for a year and have yet to have any lens fail on me, so it's difficult for me to decide if I want to give up that 15 months warranty. I never had an issue buying Canon lenses online since the service center here will repair it as long as you pay for it, but Panasonic here doesn't seem to want to commit to an answer if they will repair a lens not bought in APAC region.
  2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    My only experience so far was a stuck manual focusing dial on a second-hand Oly 17mm F2.8 which I bought on this forum, as well as the loose front ring around the filter thread--after a few months it would pop off. The stuck MF ring never bothered me because I always used it on AF on my E-P1, and I just super-glued the silver ring back. Other than that, no problems so far. No impact on lens quality, still la very sharp and handy lens.
  3. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

The failure rate isn't the only concern. I recently bought an Oly 40 to 150mm which was soft. No matter what I tried I couldn't get sharp shots. I took it back to where I bought it and exchanged it for another. This one does produce sharp images.

It's possible to get lenses with this sort of issue from all of the manufacturers, with some being more notorious than others. I'm thinking of Sigma in particular, who seem to use their customers as their quality control department.

Find out what hoops you have to jump through to exchange a lens with B&H before you commit.
  4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I've never had one fail, per se, but I've had two Panny 45-175 X lenses that exhibited the double image issue (though that's a design fault, not a manufacturing fault.) The only lens I've actually had a faulty lens with was the Oly 12/2. My first one had a skewed element that made it act like a permanent tilt lens. My second had severe field curvature. My third is awesome. Glad I bought locally for that one. :) Neither 'bad' lens failed, but were not good out of the box. The second one was actually not too bad, but could be wonky at times depending on the shot.
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If you are buying new without the benefit of a warranty you may want to really consider buying used from an established seller. At least you'll know that the lens doesn't have any fatal QC issues. The trick may be finding someone who doesn't mind shipping to Singapore.

If it is the simple decision of paying $300 more for a warranty on a ~$900 lens I think the risk management decision is a relatively easy one. I'd roll the dice for sure. Even if it was a Sigma!