Anyone here carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Size is obviously important to me in what I carry around. I mean I abandoned my dslr in favor of a G5. And one of the things I like about my iPhone 5s is the size vs. a S3/4/5 or especially a Note. My iPhone just fits in my pocket better than those larger phones.

And size is also important to me in terms of firearms. I actually didn't mind the size of my dslr when I was using it, it was carrying it around that bothered me. The same seems to be true for me for handguns. I carry a Glock 19 for my day job, but off duty I don't normally carry anything because I don't want to be bothered with something that size and weight. I have recently begun looking at smaller guns for off-duty carry, though and wondered if anyone here carried a weapon conecealed and if so which one and what you liked/disliked about it.. And please. can we not make this about the politics of carrying a firearm. I'm not interested in that discussion. I'm just looking for the opinions of those who do carry and what they think about the specific firearm they carry or have carried.

Thanks.

ahinesdesign

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
I carry a Taurus TCP, and my wife carries a Ruger LCP. The LCP is slightly smaller than the TCP, and easier to conceal because of its rounded edges and reduced thickness. The TCP is a little larger (and easier to grip for me) but a bit thicker and has more hard edges. I like the appearance of it, and its comfortable for me to fire. The LCP never felt comfortable in my hand unless I added things to make the grip larger, but my wife loves it. I tried carrying a 38 Special for a little while, but its quite uncomfortable to wear, and I don't particularly care for actually firing it...

What I like about the TCP is that it is relatively inexpensive and has been very reliable for me. Its doesn't feel as well made as the Ruger, but its certainly not "cheap" feeling. There are a lot of options in 380 auto, at a wide range of prices and quality levels, making it difficult to determine what will work for each individual unfortunately.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Thanks, one of my wife's friends carries a TCP in her purse at all times. I actually went to purchase one for my wife as her friend spoke so highly of them, but the store was out. I looked at the LCP, and had decided to purchase one, but I let the saleman talk me into the S&W 380 Bodyguard. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can't imagine any of them are much fun to shoot. I think I can probably comfortably carry something a little bigger, but I will say the size of those tiny 380s is quite appealing from a carry standpoint. I imagine they are all somewhat uncomfortable to shoot.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I often carry a Glock 26 in a Don Hume PCCH (Preferred Concealed Carry Holster) IWB holster made from thin but firm/stiff leather. Being more compact and a tad lighter than the 19 (I also have one of those) it is easier to carry and even conceals well under a loose fit tee shirt.

The Glock 26 is a very accurate piece of hardware, many find they shoot more accurately with it than with the 19 or 17. This is likely due to the awareness that one is holding a smaller handgun with a shorter sight radius and therefore more attention is paid. I used to use mine in 3 gun matches going up against full size and long slide guns. Even took first place in Unclassified division once. I got a lot of funny looks with a "snubnose" Glock in the holster.

When I want something lighter I carry a Kahr CW9 in a JAK slide from Galco. I can shoot it accurately (both the CW9 and the Glock have very light easily managed recoil) and can wear it all day without discomfort. I'm 75 and weight of both "defensive hardware" and cameras is very important.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I let the saleman talk me into the S&W 380 Bodyguard. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can't imagine any of them are much fun to shoot. I think I can probably comfortably carry something a little bigger, but I will say the size of those tiny 380s is quite appealing from a carry standpoint. I imagine they are all somewhat uncomfortable to shoot.

The best easiest to get along with small handgun I ever tried in an effective defense caliber was the Kahr PM9. A very lightweight, compact, "front pocket sized" semi auto in 9mm (not a "mousegun" caliber either) with very moderate easy to control recoil (no pain involved) and it was VERY accurate. But mine was an early model and they had a problem with getting barrels with "soft" metal. Kahr was very good about helping, they sent me replacement slide and barrel "top ends" twice but on the second one "peening" badly at less than 150 rounds they replaced it with a Kahr K9 (which I later traded off). I already had the all steel version of the small one, the MK9 but that is bit too heavy for a pocked pistol. I does work nicely in the JAK slide by Galco.

They have their "soft metal" problems worked out now and people with the PM9 love it.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
When I absolutely must carry something smaller than a Glock 19 (Gold Standard defensive carry pistol, in my view) I go with a Kahr PM9. Awesome little nine.

And, if carrying in a coat jacket pocket, the S&W 642, a revolver which has an internal hammer and can be held & fired from within the coat pocket if necessary, depending on circumstances! This is the ultimate in being able to instantly counteract an assault by someone who thinks he might have the jump on you! Nice thing with this is you can be ready to instantly fire if you feel a potential threat situation developing, without actually having to pull a holstered weapon or even visibly produce the weapon! If the threat subsides, you never produced your weapon in the first place. Nice.

D

Deleted member 20897

I carry a Charles Daly Commander size 1911. Replaced the factory supplied magazines with Chip McCormick Shooting Stars. I also use Winchester SXT hollowpoints because they feed reliably in the 1911 without needing to have the throat/ramp modified in any way.

Right now, I'm using a Galco small of back in waist band holster system with a thumb break. Always carry cocked and locked, but I do not carry 100% of the time.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
A Colt Mustang .380, Winchester Silver Tips ammunition.

Not a ton of stopping power - especially in colder climates where heavy winter clothing is worn. Easy to conceal (Uncle Mike's #1 holster, right draw, small of back waistband), very lightweight. When the shirt must be tucked in but no jacket is worn the Mustang will fit in dress slacks front pocket; a folded handkerchief will break up the outline of the pistol. Tucked in shirt with tight jeans requires an under shirt carry - uncomfortable with any pistol and to be avoided if at all possible. (I have never gotten comfortable with ankle carry holsters; I'm too old to bend over that far). Edit: The Mustang isn't uncomfortable to shoot (for me, YMMV) even with it's light weight. It fits my hand nicely and the 'mouse gun' .380 round just doesn't kick back much.

Previously I carried a Firestar 40mm, Winchester Black Talon ammunition. Small, relatively lightweight, plenty of stopping power; recoil was "more than sufficient". More difficult to conceal in summer than the Mustang. Right draw shoulder holster (but I wore suitcoats in those days). Edit: I should have noted that the Firestar was not fun to shoot (YMMV); too much recoil for my taste.

The Firestar was not fond of "range" ammunition, but I never had a failure to feed when sticking with the Black Talon.

The Mustang seems to swallow whatever is fed into it without complaining and I consider it to be as reliable as any firearm I've ever used.

Regards,

Jim

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Ours is a multicultural, international forum, and guns have proven to be an inherently contentious topic that makes some members uncomfortable and ultimately demands more moderator time and energy than we can provide.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mu-43 mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom