anyone have the Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Linh, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I wanted to get this a while ago, but it wasn't much of a priority. It still isn't, but it brought up the fact that none of my lenses are 77mm anymore.... far smaller =)

Has anyone used this with step down adapters? With what lenses and how bad is the vignetting?
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I was looking at one 2 weeks ago and I was told by an employee that at one extreme it has a triangular vignette and a rectangular vignette even with no adaptor rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not for MFT but my rangefinder lenses have 39mm and 46mm sizes and I use a single set of 77mm filters and use step up rings to avoid purchasing several sizes of the same filter. I step up all the sizes to 52mm and have a single ring to go from 52mm to 77mm. I have a few other lenses from different systems that use the same filters.

Whether or not your introduce vignetting will be highly dependent on the lens, in particular the focal length. Wider the focal length, the greater the chance. Step up filter ring adapters are not that expensive. Buy the rings first, try it out. If acceptable, then buy the filter.

I personally have never had problems with using step up filters on the rangefinder of focal lengths between 24mm to 90mm. I have one 12mm lens that has its own special 77mm adapter to avoid vignetting.
  4. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I'm seriously thinking about this because of doing video, and also because David Hobby from Strobist swears by it. It seems like a worthy investment, provided you're not going wide-angle too much =P
  5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
  6. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    I just recently got a 52-77mm step up ring to use on the 14-45mm with a Heliopan 77mm Vari ND. Works brilliantly with no vigneting at all at 14mm. Also the known cross pattern at higher density on wide angle lenses is definately not as pronounced on the Micro 4/3rds as it is on a full frame.
  7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Thanks for the input, great idea on the stepping to a standard.
    hence also asking which lenses folks used it on =)
  8. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    I have the 82mm Singray Vari-ND. Got it a couple of years ago to use with a Zeiss ZE 21mm f2.8. I kept it even when I went to m4/3. I have used it on the Panny 14-45, Panny 14-140 and Olympus 12mm with no vignetting. I am not sure why Peter Hill was so negative, but apparently he does not like variable ND's because he uses thread on lens hoods. I did not have the issues he had. That said, if you push to 8 stops, it will start doing some strange things. I found 7 stops to be the realistic limit. In all, you would probably be better off and spend less money getting a 10 stop ND. That said, I have kept the VariND as it is still useful to me, and I already paid for it.

In terms of vignetting, I only saw classic vignetting at the corners with very wide angle lenses with my old full frame setup.
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I've come across a handful of folks who were not fond of any variable ND filter. I'm not dead set on it, as it is quite a bit of money. I just figure I'd ask about it and see if anyone used it and how much trouble step up rings were/weren't in one post =)

I may just focus on my lenses I have now and get a few ND filters that way (52mm filters are cheaper than 77 =). But I'll have to wait and see what the 35-100 is. And balance against future sizes and being able to easier sell 72/77mm to canon folk =)
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

btw... two polarizers mounted on top of each other will have a similar effect as an Vari ND filter. The filter in question may be the same at a premium cost.

As mentioned... vignette with stacked rings will depend on the specific lens, not just a particular focal length. So specify which lanses in particular.

I personally am skeptical of the variND filter because it involves a couple filter glass on top of each other which in general will impact image quality to some extent. How much, I have not really determined but the filter costs too much for me to warrant just trying it out for kicks. I am also skeptical of the quality of the coatings on the filter glass used. I would rather just get a couple ND filters of various strengths @ 77mm filter sizes. I always buy the best quality filters for my use (b+w, heliopan, etc.. always multi coated) .... hence steping everything to 77mm is saving me money in the long run.
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Singh-Ray makes awesome filters - however I've got my eye on a different model....