Anyone have PL45 and Canon 100L IS macro?

DesertRose

Mu-43 Regular
Just curious how they compare. I have the 100L on my 7D and just picked up a used PL45 for my GH1. I'm hoping the PL will replace the 100L (and I can sell it). :smile:

I love the 100L IQ, but don't use it nearly enough... And I never print my macro photos bigger than 8x10. I think my current gear is overkill and a smaller, lighter field kit will be more fun.

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
I used to have both, but my Canon gear is long gone. I am a raving fan of the PL 45mm macro. It is a gem. I wish there were more of the Panasonic/Leica lenses of this quality.

squidbrand

Mu-43 Regular
I don't have either lens, but I've spent a lot of time with Canon's non-L 100mm macro, and a lot of its greatness comes from the incredible look of the defocused areas. No 45mm lens is going to do that, purely as a physical limitation, unless it has a much wider maximum aperture. That doesn't mean the P/L isn't a great lens; it just means there are some things the longer Canon can do that the 45 can't.

DesertRose

Mu-43 Regular
I don't have either lens, but I've spent a lot of time with Canon's non-L 100mm macro, and a lot of its greatness comes from the incredible look of the defocused areas. No 45mm lens is going to do that, purely as a physical limitation, unless it has a much wider maximum aperture. That doesn't mean the P/L isn't a great lens; it just means there are some things the longer Canon can do that the 45 can't.

That makes sense... However, I mostly use my 100L for macro where the DOF is never enough (mostly f/11 on 7D). It still made nice bokeh, when the bug was near MFD. :smile: It will be interesting to see how the PL45 fares in that regard.

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
I own both. The IS on the 100L is noticeably better, so is the quality of the defocused area ("Bokeh"). That being said, the quality and IQ of the 45PL is incredible for it's size. Just for giggles, I used my 45PL for a model shoot once:

Model shoots

Some more shots, including closeups. All handheld (ignore last three shots; Those were with a zoom):

Ward island - 27 March 2010

Cheers,

Sammy.

shoturtle

well 4/3 format does not offer as much dof control as a larger aps-c or ff sensor.

Latest threads

Top Bottom