Anyone have experience with these batteries for OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by waltpalmer, Dec 16, 2012.

1. waltpalmer

waltpalmer New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2012
  2. waltpalmer

waltpalmer New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2012
    Nobody? Interesting.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You need to lower your expectations...2 hours isn't enough time to expect an answer in, especially on a day where people are either out shooting, or Christmas shopping. Personally I was asleep, but I'm nursing a bad cold.

If they make the claim all you can do is try it, and at $25 for a pair it's not a bad gamble...though I wonder why they include a chagrer if "It can be charged with original factory charger."

Personally though I prefer sticking with Olympus brand batteries bought from my local dealer.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I bought 2 of the half decoded version form Sopiusa a couple of months ago. Im very happy with them. I get atleast 150 shots out of them....maybe more. However, one of the batteries wouldnt hold a charge for more than 10 shots. I contacted the seller, he/she shipped me a new one immediately and didnt ask for the faulty battery back. Good seller.

5. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Try the UpStart battery and charger, available on Ebay. Life Time warranty and work great on the OM-D and Panasonic camera's. These are the only aftermarket I now use.

6. RJM

RJM New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2012
    The ones I bought look very similar to what you posted.

I bought two 1600 mAh Lithium batteries and charger for the Olympus OMD EM-5. I paid something like £12 or whatever, delivered, so somewhat of a bargain.

I found they work okay but for some reason they won't charge in the original Olympus battery charger!

They fit into the OMD camera fine but get a little stuck when putting into the battery handgrip!

For what I paid, I'm more than happy. I can't say exactly how many snaps I get out of them after a full charge but it must be something like 200.

7. Kevinolympus

Kevinolympus New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2012
    Auckland New Zealand
    Kevin Haines
    I read somewhere that the Olympus charger and/or battery has some sort of chip that doesn't allow other kinds of batteries to be charged in their charger. Probably to get you to buy another Olympus battery. I'm talking about an OM-D
    I have just come back from a trip to Asia and with 2700 pics taken, I found I was charging another battery every evening. And the area around the battery was getting very hot at times so I got into the habit of turning it off. I got used to that very quickly but probably missed a few shots on start up.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually, a few years ago there's been a new regulation introduced in Japan regarding safety circuits of rechargeable batteries. As such Olympus (and other manufacturers) had to redesign their batteries and chargers.

This happened before the introduction of the E-5...before that the FourThirds cameras used the BLM-1 which used three electrical contacts to charge (the middle pin was connected to the safety circuit). When the E-5 came out Olympus had to come out with a brand new battery, the BLM-5, that used FIVE contacts for charging.

So you're asking how do the clone makers get away with producing the less safe batteries? They aren't made in Japan!

Going back to the BLM-1, many of the clone makers didn't even bother with a safety circuit or reading the middle pin...they'd just overcharge the battery causing it to swell so it gets stuck in the camera.

9. C-Towner

C-Towner Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't tried those batteries, but I do have two non-OEM batteries for my OMD. Rated at less than the normal battery that came with the OMD, they usually run for about the same amount of time - at least 400 shots, depending on chimping :) I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of third party batteries.