1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone have experience with auto extension tubes for micro four thirds?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colbycheese, May 28, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I understand the general concept of using them. (Closer focus, suitable for macro) Anyways, i was wondering if anyone has used them and if they are worth purchasing. I found these on amazon. I was thinking of buying them but first i have some questions. I understand they let you focus close, but will it slow the lens down in the process. For example, i was planning on using my 20mm Panasonic with it and the fastest f stop is 1.7. What would the equivalent be with the extension tubes? Thank you.

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've got a set of cheap µ4/3 extension tubes with the electrical contacts.
    Mine work very well as long as I only use one - using both together gives too much free play & starts causing problems. Other people who've spent a little more don't seem to have this problem.
    The effective apperture is dependant on the magnification Effective Aperture = Lens Aperture x (1 + Magnification)

DOF in macro shots is so small I seriously doubt you'll be wanting to work at f1.7, most people find diffraction sets in before they have enough DOF for their subject.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've got a set of Opteka electronic coupled tubes (16, 21, 25) that are nicely lined with dark felt on the inside. For some reason if more than one is stacked the 45-175 PZ lens doesn't work at all. All my other lenses work fine with any stack combination though.

As far as AF goes, it's kind of a nice to have, but I wouldn't trust it when DoF is so shallow. I got the electronic tubes more for aperture control and live DoF preview.

Not sure how well the typical set of tubes works with the 20mm, the focus distance will be pretty short even with 16mm extension at those sorts of focal lengths.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Extension tubes from ebay are same as the $30 I spent on lunch today. Worth it. I have Viltrox, but would go for Mieke in the future because they look to have more secure contacts. Have to wiggle my Viltrox until the pins match up to lens and camera. You can use the 16mm with the 20mm, but lens is about 1/2" from subject.

5. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I have the Kenko tubes, 10+16mm, and they work best on my oly45mm and oly60mm, if the fokuslimit is to close to start with the lens will not work well with the tubes.
    Moste of the time when i shoot macro i dont want to use the lowest Fvalue of the lens any way, so using the 20 because it´s F1,7 isnt something you should go by i think.