1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone have experience with action cameras?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by VinVin, Jul 21, 2015.

1. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    So I've been wanting a GoPro for a long time now... but I always act in accordance with one thought in mind, go big or go home. So ultimately the GoPro I would buy would be their latest Hero4 Black Edition... however being in Canada with the dollar so weak it costs about 700 bucks pre-tax, so roughly 800 after tax, and I'm not going to spend 800 bucks on it to be honest.

Does anyone have any experience with other brands? I've been looking at the Chinese made SJCAM SJ5000+ which is in essence very much in competition with the GoPro Hero3 albeit without 4k but also at aaround 200 bucks cheaper.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. JasonCdn

JasonCdn Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    British Columbia
    Jason
    VinVin,

I wasn't too impressed with my Olympus video either so I also decided to add a GoPro to my kit. I went with the Hero 4 Silver as I didn't really want to edit 4k and from my research online the 1080p 120fps video quality was less than impressive, some people thought it looked like an upscaled 720p. So far I'm happy with 2.7k 30fps and 1080p 60fps, but that could change with the release of the GoPro 5 this winter.

If you're concerned with price why not do what I did and find a great deal on a used GoPro from Kijiji. I picked up the Hero 4 silver with over $500 in accessories for $400 total. There are a lot of people that buy GoPros but never end up using them that much so they let them go for a steal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info. I'll look on Kijiji to see if there are any deals around. One thing I want to mention though is I saw online, the SJCam cameras seem to come with almost all the accessories that you would normally need to buy when you get a GoPro... I'm going to do some research into the SJCam cameras first. If I don't find anything that makes it worth it I might just go ahead and look through the ones on Kijiji and get it there.

4. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah, I was looking at the sony's before. They seem to be pretty good, however the form might not be very suitable for if I wanted to strap it to my chest or on the strap of my backpack when I go camping and hiking with it... I should prolly see if there are any youtube videos of it being used the way I plan on using it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably be reading about it and watching video reviews of it the whole of tonight haha.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But then I think it works better for helmet, handlebars, motorcycle, etc, by being a bit more slipstream.

Here's the chest mount: http://store.sony.com/chest-mount-harness-zid27-AKACMH1/cat-27-catid-action-cam-mounts?_t=pfm=category

Pack mount: http://store.sony.com/SNYNA_27/pimg/pSNYNA-VCTBPM1_alternate1_v786.png

Regarding the SJ5000. If you are going to make that an option, then you do not appear to need 4K. So why not consider a lesser GoPro or Sony Model? I mean why the Hero 4 black if not for 4k?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  6. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I have the Sony as30, and the stabilisator makes the video much more pleasing to look at.

There´s a video from last summer, and at 4:20 you can see how much the car moves, but the stabilisator is doing a good work since it´s mounted on the frontwindow.

I got it for about 150$ with alot of mounts, and it has a normal tripod screwmound so you can use normal tripods also and dont have to buy everything new, and the battery is from a p/s sony cam so you can buy them really cheap on ebay.

7. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    It's not really a lack of desire for 4k... however even the hero3 is like 400 bucks... and in most specs very similar to the sj5000 plus... but more that double the price.