1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone have experience buying second hand in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by edme, Dec 26, 2015.

1. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    Right now I'm in Tokyo, I can can buy a gm5 for $250 which seems like a good deal to me, except the language is locked to Japanese... I will be in Hong Kong soon does anyone know if second hand prices (and quality) are similar to Japan?

I'm considering just getting an em5 here for the same price, or an em10 for even less (you can change the language on Olympus) but I'm really in love with the size of the gm5.

Thanks if anyone can help!

2. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Maybe this will help. Last year I researched a trip to Hong Kong intending to buy and sell some used gear. Didn't go. BUT, of all the online sources about used gear in HK one stood out because it didn't read like a cut and paste or rehash of old travel info. It read like a labor of love written by a HK based pro photographer, which he is. Last updated in June 2014.

Buying New and Second Hand Camera Gear in Hong Kong

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The link @dancebert posted looks like very good info. No matter where I buy used gear I always thoroughly check it out before leaving the store. And preferably keep the item I'm buying in my possession from the time I check it, till I leave the store. If for any reason a clerk or someone has to have the item back (except in Japan), I stand there and again check out the item just a thoroughly as the first time before they walk away.

If you can't find the used item your looking for at SIM City, it may not exist! An amazing group of stores - if you don't see it ask. They may go to great effort to find what you seek.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    Thanks guys, in the end I saw a really nice Em10 for about $250 and couldn't resist. Also ended up with a 45mm. I can recommend MAP camera in Tokyo to anyone who happens to be reading this :)