1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone have any ideas for a bag for a 2 body setup?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by arad85, Sep 10, 2012.

1. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I've been searching for what seems like an age. I intend to get the 35-100 when it comes out and would like a bag that will hold 2 bodies with 2 lenses attached (12-35 and 35-100) and hold a third lens (7-14). I believe with that setup, I will have my walkabout kit finally sorted. I'm looking for a bag to put it all in though. I really want a messenger style bag with long strap so I can put it over my neck/shoulder.

The only ones I can find are either rediculously roomy and hence big (I'm after something as small as I can get) or adaptations of other bags, with 3rd party inserts etc...

I saw a Tamrac Rally 6 on the weekend and it was as close as I've come to a ready made bag - but it was still too large and is designed for a single body. The Rally 4 looks to be possibly the right size, but will have less inserts. I'd also like something narrower if possible.

Anyone with any ideas?

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    ThinkTank Retro 7 would probably work but the 7-14mm might be a tight fit

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I use the Lowepro SlingShot 100AW, it holds my G3, G5, 12-35, 25, 7-14 and 45-175, plus batteries, filters etc and they are all very accessible, it's as small as a bag can be to hold all that, if it was any smaller it would be too small, but as it is it's just right, maybe just a bit tight but it works fine.

Paul

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Retro 10 easily swallows my entire :43: kit (see sig below). :2thumbs:

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks both.

I specifically want a messenger style bag - which discounts the SlingShot -and have been looking at the Retro 5 and 7. I think the 5 is just that bit too small and the 10 is too big for what I want which is not somewhere to store ALL the gear, just to take out what I specifically listed.

Any more suggestions people?

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, do you insist on padding? When I moved to M43 for small size I also switched to unpadded bags. They are not only more compact but there is a practically infinite range of them available.

The bag pictured below would take your kit quite nicely. I carried it in Africa last November with two G1s, 14-140 and 10-300 usually mounted and 9-18 tucked inside loose. There was still room for a Cocoon pallet in the front pocket carrying batteries, filters, chargers, etc. It is this bag: Special Operations Technologies

monopod.

My example is not messenger style if it's the flap style opening you want, but it can be carried as a fanny pack (though kinda big) or with its included shoulder strap. For the flap, there are many unpadded messenger style bags out there. If you don't want to go completely without padding, there are always the inserts.

For travel, I empty and flatten the bag into my carry-on roller bag, stuffing bodies and lenses into the inevitable nooks and crannies. I couldn't do this with a padded bag.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Do a search for Crumpler, they make the most amazing camera bags. Top quality and completely internally customisable. Had one with my dslr kit for a long time yet the day I came to sell it it still looked new.

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I carry the Retro 5. I can fit the Gripped EM-5, GX1, PL25, Oly 45, 7-14 and the 14mm in the bag. A bit tricky to get it all worked out, but I've done it for several weeks now. Problem for me is having the 12-35 now limits things quite a bit. If I didn't have the grip on the EM-5 I think it would also make things easier. I'll play around and see what I can find tonight. I might leave out one or two lenses for my trip tomorrow.

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Okay here it is, decided it would be easier to show the results. In this bag we have:

EM-5 with grip. Attached is the Panasonic 12-35 with UV and Hoya HD polarizer, so the longest it would get.

Panasonic GX1 with body cap on, EVF on. Panasonic 7-14, Panasonic Leica 25mm, Panasonic 14mm, Olympus 45mm. In the back zipper I have EM-5 flash, two extra batteries, extra memory card, tripod plate, Cokin P filter and holder. In the front pocket I have a filter case with three filters in it, lens pen, cloth. That probably is everything.

photo_5_.

You can see it doesn't quite close all the way down, but it isn't going anywhere. I've had it packed a bit worse than this with no worries.

photo_6_.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks.

I want toi carry the two camera/lenses assembled, so I think oldracer is closest. I had also looked at the Think Tank Hubba Hubba but I think it's just slightly too small. I'm ok with less well padded, I'm looking for a general walkabout bag rather than one that will withstand a nuclear blast.

Thanks for the photos danska. I now KNOW the retro 5 is too small for what I want....

11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    You could carry two lenses on bodies in this setup, just not easily with all of these lenses in here. If I didn't have the Oly 45 in there I could easily attach the 7-14 or PL25 to the GX1. That is what I normally do, I can skip the 14 and 45 most times. It is really pretty small, unfortunately the Retrospective 7 is a lot bigger.

12. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    The Retro 10 is not that big a bag and the Retro 5 is a pretty s,all bag. You should compare the dimensions of both the 5 and 10 on the Think Tank website.

13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    How would you pack the cameras? I'm after something that will allow access to either camera quite quickly, and take a 3rd lens (so I could switch to a 7-14 from the 35-100 if it wasn't being used for example).

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Normally I pack the two cameras both lenses facing down in the bag. To do this with the gripped EM-5 can be a challenge so I like to take the portrait section off and put it in the front pouch. If you put a divider in the middle both cameras occupy one side of the bag and then another lens can fit below. This does work fine with my EM-5/PL25, GX1/7-14 and then the 12-35 below. Before I had the 12-35 I would put my Minolta 100mm f2.5 with adapter below with no issues. I'm not sure how much larger the 35-100 is going to be, but I have a feeling I could fit two bodies and three lenses in this bag with no problems as long as it wasn't larger than my Minolta 135 with adapter (which is just a bit too big to work in the previously described set-up).

For me the Retro 10 and 20 (meant to say 10 instead of 7 before) are way too big. When I travel I carry a Tom Bihn Empire builder for my briefcase, the T.T. Retro 5, and a roller bag carry-on sized. I really don't want anything bigger than that bag, so my tripod fits in my roller along with a minolta telephoto usually. I can usually pack the entire contents of the Retro into either of my other two bags if I don't want to check bags.

Also keep in mind the EM-5 with the grip is the larger than both your bodies, the GX1 slightly smaller, but mine has a half case and EVF attached.

15. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    So how do you pack the cameras? I can imagine either above each other - so one of the sides of the cameras was closest to your body? Or would you pack so that the bottoms of the cameras are closest to your body? And another lens below, do you mean the spare lens lying horizontally or stacked vertically?

I must admit, I keep coming back to the Retro 5, but it just seems that little bit too small...

16. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Timbuk2 Snoop messenger, in Extra Small. Slightly smaller overall than the Rally 6, but a tiny bit wider. might accommodate the bodies turned off axis with the middle compartment holding the third lens. The dividers are configurable as you like them.

Snoop Camera Messenger - Timbuk2 Bags

woof!

• Like Like x 1
  17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thinktank Retrospective line would be my recommendation. The 5 would be on the small side but should work, 7 or 10 would probably be about right for easily fitting everything. I have the Retro 5 and I have carried the G3 and GX1 with lenses attached (14-140 and 100-300) as well as spare lenses in the bag. I carried the two bodies on the two ends and the center pocket carried the spare lenses. The nice thing about the Retro 5's size is it's so small that it's easy to carry around without getting in the way.

Hope that helps. I would take pictures for you with my lens lineup, but my G3 is out of commission.

• Like Like x 1
  18. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks woof... Looks like the camera version isn't well stocked in the UK (they are cycle centric here from what I can see). We're along the right lines though!

19. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    So that's with the sides of the cameras to your body (so the cameras go across the bag rather than along it if you see what I mean) - correct?

20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Correct. If I carry two bodies I'd put them in short sides of the camera toward my body. If I'm using one body (which is most of the time) I put the spare lenses on the left and right sides, camera with lens mounted in the center pocket with the long sides to my body instead.

• Like Like x 2