Anyone have any experience with gear keeper retractable tethers?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by gundam83, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gundam83

gundam83 New to Mu-43

May 10, 2011
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'm in for two of the captures! I can't wait to get them, look like a great product.

I use one of these wrist straps myself, also hate neck straps for the most part (when I do use one, I wear it bandolier style):

Optech SLR wrist strap

I actually have 3 or 4 of these, they are relatively unobtrusive, unbuckle quickly and I can leave one hanging on my tripod, for a quick tether and safety catch. Looking at that Gear Keeper thing, I'm not sure I would trust it beyond a cheap point and shoot, too many places for it to fail as far as I can tell from their pictures; even they are only touting it for small compacts.

3. gundam83

gundam83 New to Mu-43

May 10, 2011
    The thing is they have it for guns and large flashlights too, which should weigh more than a typical m43. Not strong enough to retract, but hopefully strong enough to keep your expensive toy from bouncing off the concrete

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It wouldn't be the end if your flashlight or gun hit the ground though (well, that is debatable...if it went off!), whereas it likely would be the end of your camera! Someone always has to be first at these things - after your tests, you can contribute a review!