1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anyone have a tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrism_scotland, Oct 2, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Ever since the iPad came out I've been really tempted to buy a tablet myself, however now that theres so much choice I don't know what to get!!!

I don't fancy the iPad partly due to price and partly due to the lack of openness...

I quite fancy the Blackberry Playbook as I have a BB 9900 as my phone but the Playbook does seem to be dying a slow death.

Quite like the look of some of the Android tablets, especially the Asus Transformer and Motorola Xoom - especially as the Xoom is quite cheap in the UK now.

Anyway just wondering what everyone here is using and what they think of what they have?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh, one of those tablets... I thought you were going to ask about pen tablets... lol.

3. awatahurm

awatahurm Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2011
    I still haven't figured out their role.
    They're not as portable as an iPhone/Blackberry/Android. And they're not as functional as a laptop.
    Maybe for reading books... But the books I like to read aren't readily available in digital form.

• Like Like x 2
  4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I find that hard to believe. Have you looked at google books?

And yes, reading books and browsing the web are two of my main uses for a tablet.

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I prefer my iPhone cause it's always with me. Same features as ipad plus phone functionality. I've had ipad for a while but gave it to my dad (he doesn't have iphone). If the iphone 5 indeed will have a larger screen, it will make reading and picture viewing even easier.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I use iPad 2. It's great for traveling.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NicolasGOD

NicolasGOD Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Riyadh, KSA / France
    I am using an eee transformer from Asus. I am travelling a lot due to my work, and it is easy to carry, compact, you can watch movie in the plane, can email with it easily, using it to watch movie connected to the TV Tthru HDMI in the hotel, read magazines on it, upload some of my photos straight from the camera with it ...
    I like it ...

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I use an iPad 1 all the time, especially when traveling and in meetings. I have a Kindle for reading books.

9. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    We have 2; the original iPad for the wife, and an iPad 2 for me.

They don't replace laptops, which are for creating; iPads are for recreating. :smile: The tablets are great for reading books/articles, watching movies and sports, visiting forums like this, and playing games. I can use it sitting, reclined, lying in bed, and walking; try that with a laptop.

As among brands, we are an Apple family (3 MacBooks and an iMac, all connected via Airport Extreme and several iPhones), so I may be just a bit biased, but I think what gives the iPad such an advantage is the touchscreen accuracy. It's very rare that I select the wrong hyperlink, or type the wrong letter using the screen keyboard. I couldn't say that about the Android OS.

I think it's another instance where you get what you pay for.

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't know what I use, but I really like it.

-----------------------------------------------

Sent from my iPad 2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. awatahurm

awatahurm Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2011
    I just now gave it a shot.

My first three trials were: 1Q84, Television: A Challenge to the Psychoanalytic Establishment, and Ringo File 1998 - 2008.
    The first two books were a no hit. The third book was a hit but I was given the message "Sorry, this book is not available as a Google eBook." and I was given the opportunity to vote for it as a potential e-book.

Just as well. I like the feel and smell of real books.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    How many times can you touch your nose using your m4/3 camera?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Asus Transformer. For me superior to iPad because the availability of a keyboard w/battery (transforming it into a netbook with 14 hours autonomy) and 2 USB ports, SD Card port. Android Honeycomb is not as stable as iOS (I own an ip4 as well), but it is quite snappy, I have all the apps I need on a IPS screen similar with the IPad (but 16:9 instead of 4:3)

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've got all of them, nearly. A real tabletPC (several actually), an iPad, a Galaxy Tab, and a Wacom tablet on my desk. I get confused working out which stylii to use :)

As an enthusiast photographer the most fun is definitely the iPad. It's got enough capacity to be useful, has a fantastic range of photo apps that are useful and cheap, and has a stunning display for photographs. The lack of weight and battery life are amazing. Not to mention it's my book library, web surfer, email client, note book and games console. Now I've added the Hyperdrive for iPad to it I have virtually unlimited capacity for images and movies.

The tabletPC is the most functional and runs all my "real" applications but the limited battery life, weight and screen real-estate don't make it fun for photography. The Galaxy Tab is in most ways somewhat disappointing. There's never been an OS upgrade provided, the screen is average and the Google Market is a mess. There are no note taking apps and not many useful photo apps. I do love the size, but not the 16:9 screen in a tablet form factor. If Apple made a 3:2 8 inch iPad I'd be all over it.

You always think that more choice is going to be better, but I've found, for my needs, that the fractured nature of Andriod is a huge negative. It's a bit like Windows. Every manufacturer messes around with the UI a bit and the functionality a bit, in an attempt to distinguish themselves from the rest. In the end none of them are great and you're left struggling to get anything done, when you know if they just left it alone and let you set it up the way you want that it would be awesome. I'm tempted by the Eeeeeeeeeeepad transformer but not inclined to think that Andriod is going to offer the apps or the updates to compete with Apple. If you like tinkering then get Android. If not get an Apple.

Gordon

15. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I go back and forth between Linux/android open source, which I like the IDEA of, but which can sometimes be frustrating and disappointing, and Mac/iOS which are ruled by the closed, rather fascist hand of Apple, but do tend to just work so well.

So... I spent a few years as a Linux Weeny on my computers and laptops, but went back to Mac With MacBook for my main computer and a windows, sometimes multiple-boot netbook as my travel computer.

I got a cheap Linux tablet but found I hardly used it, and I chose an Android smartphone over iPhone primarily due to cost, but also open source issues. whether I am happy or not with my Android phone has varied a lot depending on which Rom firmware I have installed at a given time.

I have been through several eInk readers and currently use a small Sony reader for reading fiction and text based stuff, but...

As soon as the iPad2 came out I bought the iPad1 at a bargain price and have been mostly very happy with it. I use it for reading eMagazines, cookbooks, photo books and anything else that is image heavy and or I want to be able to flip through fast, and also for email, quick web stuff and obviously this forum when lying around the house. As others have noted, it is great with photographic stuff, really crisp images, though I have not tried much with the available PP apps.

So now, half the time at home I use iPad instead of MacBook plus lots for reading, and it also suffices for all basic computer functions on most any trip of under a week, so the netbook gets grabbed as well for more than a week trips and sometimes for a day or two even the iPad gets left at home and I check my email and do minimal web stuff on the android phone...

But I find it harder and harder to go anywhere without iPad. It has it's frustrations such as lack of flash support, stupid iTunes for file management instead of the "normal" type of file management, occasional lack of specialized apps, etc.

Mostly though it has become an indispensable appliance for me.

I imagine some of the better android tablets may do similarly well, but they are mostly in the same price range at least in Europe and I imagine they do not provide quite the seamless, everything works environment of apple devices.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    iPad here. E-mail, web surfing, forums, assorted reference apps, and...photo editing (Snapseed, Photogene, others) for rapid proliferation via Facebook and e-mail. Book reading on Barnes & Noble nook.

Wouldn't consider any other tablet. The iPad is often imitated, never duplicated (forget what product used that catch phrase...).

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another iPad here. It's essentially replaced my desktop for daily use. I do virtually all of my web browsing, e-commerce, forum posting and e-mail with it. I still do my photo and video editing on my iMac, however.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I just pre-ordered the Kindle Fire. Not as big or full featured as the iPad but smaller and much cheaper at $199. I'll give a review once I get it in November.

19. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Same here, I like the 7" form factor, and the price. I was looking at the 10" android tables, all selling for close to $400, when the amazon kindle fire finally got announced. I'm not comparing it to an iPad, I just recognize that the Fire does just about everything that I'm interested in using a tablet for at a reasonable price.

I'm anxiously awaiting my pre-ordered Fire to arrive on Nov. 17th. :smile:

--Warren

20. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    iPad2 here. Still struggling with a valid use-case for myself. I can see it being invaluable as a travel companion. Otherwise its turned into a rudimentary web-browser, email and facebook machine.

Best thing about it has to be as a comic-book reader. I can cram 2-300 on there and hop around very easily.

App quality is also disappointing (I have an Android too and am unimpressed by the Marketplace). Why do so many apps try and re-invent the UI - what happened to consistency ?

I miss the versatility of a real computer - the iPad reminds me of MacOS 6 - sure you can use the Multifinder, but its really only designed to let you do one thing at once. I'm not entirely sure thats progress.