Anyone have a Gary Fong Flip-Cage Pro?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ccunningham, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    It appears that the standard Gary Fong Flip-Cage will not fit the Pen models or the GF1, judging by the compatible camera dimensions that are listed. They also make a Flip-Cage Pro that supposedly fits larger cameras, but the camera dimensions that are listed on the Gary Fong site are the same for both models. Does anyone have Flip-Cage Pro? If you do, have you tried it with a Pen or GF1?

More to the point, if you do own one and have tried it, does it actually fit and work ok?

I have a little table-top tripod from Kodak, and while it carries small and works well enough (stability wise), it's a bit of a nuisance to attach to a camera, like all micro tripods I've tried that use a screw attachment. And while it's small, it's still too large to leave attached to the camera all the time. The Flip-Cage seems like a pretty good idea, but it doesn't look like it will fit any of the micro four-thirds bodies.

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The FlipCage has always seemingly been designed with point and shoot cameras in mind. Even the Pro model is only really geared towards high-end bridge compacts like the G11 with integrated (and thus retracting) lenses. Interchangeable lenses are just so varying in length there is no way they could make one of these for a GF1/PEN other than forcing you to use a pancake lens.

It also doesn't look very stable. In the video it almost collapsed when he tried to angle the camera up slightly. I would not trust it with the weight of an m43+lens.

Consider getting a Gorillapod and a ball head with a quick release plate. Then you can leave the adapter plate on your camera body all/most of the time (many of them might obstruct access to your battery/memory compartment), so it is a quick pop on/pop off to your tripod.

3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I would be okay with it only fitting pancakes, if it would only fit and work ok otherwise.

I have larger (not pocketable) table-top tripod with a QD plate on it, and it works fine, it's just that, well it's more complicated and larger than I like. I keep hoping to find something really small like the flip-cage, where I could leave it attached in my jacket pocket or messenger bag, and just pull everything out, flip the legs open, set it down, power up and fire and then put everything back up as quickly.

Oh well, maybe this is something I could whip up in the garage. If I could only figure out how to make it all work and what to build it out of.......