Anyone have a Bilingham bag? I need your suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Iconindustries, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've decided to invest in a good bag for my D90 and 3 lenses, namely a 17-55 2.8, a 50mm and 85mm. I would like to get a Billingham but as there are no resellers I know of in Australia I'll be purchasing one over the internet. For those that know or have a Billingham, what one would you suggest as a possible solution for carrying my gear.

It would have to fit

Nikon D90
    Nikon 17-55 2.8 (fairly large)
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 85

and maybe my SB-600 if there's more room

Also, would a Billingham Hadley small fit an OM-D and 2 lenses nicely?

If anyone has pictures of their stuff inside a Billingham I would love to see how you've organised the bag.

2. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    When my kit was a D300s + 17-55/2.8 + 85mm/1.8 + flash it happily fitted in a Billingham F2.8. To get the extra lens in I think you'd need an F1.4. I particularly like this style of Billingham but know that they are not to everyone's taste.

As to the Hadley Small - a friend of mine has just bought one of these for his x100 and it is far too big for the job. It prompted me to buy a Hadley Digital (which, by coincidence, arrived this morning) and I am delighted with it. It comfortably fits my E-P3 with 45/1.8 (with hood attached ready to go) + 17/2.8 + battery & spare cards. When the 75/1.8 arrives it will fit on top of the 2.8 with a divider separating them. If I want to carry my E-P1 in there too, I'd just reverse the hood on the 45/1.8 to make room for another divider and the spare body. It's a beautiful bag - I couldn't be more pleased with it and reckon it would fit your OM-D with 2 lenses very nicely.

Here's my Hadley Digital with my E-P3 + 45/1.8 + 17/2.8

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I own the Hadley small, you should have no issues with an OM-D and 2 lenses. I currently have 2 bodies in there (E-PL2 and E-PL3) and 5 (small) lenses (7.5 fisheye, 9-18, 20, 14-42 and 40-150), and use the front pockets for accessories (small table tripod, ND filter etc). Perfect bag for Mu-43 in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the Hadley small and it fits an M3, and three lense kit (35mm, 50mm and 135mm) along with eyes nicely. Should fit your OM-D and lenses well.

My Hadley pro swallows my GF1 with lens, 4-5 other lenses (I swap out lenses depending on what I plan to shoot) and an FL-36r flash with no problems. Typically I divide it into three sections in the main compartment - one for the flash with remote receiver attached (there would still be room in here for a pancake lens), a center compartment with 2-3 lenses (typically legacy 50mms) and my body, and a third where I stack two lenses like a 14mm to 45mm on top of a 45-200mm. Can even stick a small prime in one of the two front pockets.

I can't say enopugh positive things about these bags - the are well designed, easy to carry and easy to access gear.

Good luck with your purchase and post photos when you have it in hand!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TDP

TDP Guest

I have a Hadley Pro and Hadley Digital. The Digital holds my E-M5 plus 2 large lenses (one mounted, one in the side), as well as a spare battery, the small flash that comes with the camera, my wallet and cell phone.

The Pro holds my 5DII plus a few L lenses, a 580EX flash plus a few other items with ease.

Here is the Pro with a Canon 16-35L II in front of it.

Bag It Danno by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr
  6. TDP

TDP Guest

7. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    In response to your request for information on the Hadley Small.

I've been using the Billingham Hadley Small. It fits most of what I need for an outing. It is a pretty small bag and easy to carry. Quality is top notch with waterproof canvas and very squishy padding inside so that everything stays safe. Here is a list of everything I carry in the bag:

In the main compartment:
    OM-D E-M5 with horizontal grip attached and PL 25mm mounted (no hood)
    FL300 flash in pouch
    Oly 9-18mm with hood attached
    Oly 12-50mm with hood attached
    Oly 45mm with hood attached
    Oly 12mm with hood attached but reversed
    Optech QR wrist strap and neck strap

In the two front pockets (both are have the expansion snaps closed so the bag doesn't get too thick) lots more room if you want to unsnap the pockets:
    Three E-M5 spare batteries
    SD card in case
    portable tripod mount
    mini lens pen
    37mm ND filter
    52mm CPL
    4-filter pouch with various 46mm filters

I think that is all. The 12-50mm is easily interchangable with the Oly 40-150mm. Oh and if you want, an ipad 3 with case will fit behind the insert. I can also carry my Panny 20mm in the pouch if I leave one of the hoods at home.

Here's the crappy snapshots of what this bad boy holds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks fellas, I knew this would be the best place to ask the question. Thanks for taking the time to show me your stuff and write.

Firstly I didn't even know the Hadley Digital existed. That looks like the most likely choice for my OM-D, as ist's my small kit so I want to keep it as small as possible.

For my D90, well, size doesn't really matter at all so the bigger bags will suffice there. Brutto I had a look at the F1.4 and I don't mind it, It's fairly skinny which makes it look like a brief case. Probably makes it easier to walk around with as well.

TDP,that's a awesome picture there with your pro! How do you find the black compare with the brown colour? Would the lighter colour be susceptible to marking more than the black?

Kev, It's amazing how much stuff you can fit in that bag. Thanks for the photos
  9. TDP

TDP Guest

Both colors seem to stay clean easily, though the black does attract more hair from my 3 dogs :)
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Foto Riesel in Sydney are the importers of Billingham in Oz. prices are on their website.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Foto Riesel in Sydney are the importers of Billingham in Oz. prices are on their website.

12. TDP

TDP Guest