Anyone has experience with Metz-44 AF-1 on the OM-D?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Qafziel, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Qafziel

Qafziel New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    I'm considering this flash as it seems a good compromise of size, features, and price. I've read several threads on this flash with various M43 cameras, but didn't find anything specific to the OM-D, and also I want to make sure that:
    • It does AF-assist (very important to me, maybe even more than the actual exposure). Also, how does this work exactly? Is it a series of small flashes? Is it a constant beam? Is it annoying for the subject?
    • It isn't too top-heavy with this camera
    • Wireless TTL really works, especially with the on-camera flash NOT flashing at all
    I usually shoot my OM-D with the new Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8, but sometime with the kit 12-50.

Thanks!

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    As far as my needs, this is the PERFECT flash for m4/3.

The flash's AF assist does NOT illuminate, the cameras built-in light does.

Not too top heavy at all (sorry, phone pic)

Wireless works, you can turn the camera flash to OFF, TTL, or MANUAL (with adjustments). There is a pre-flash even when on-camera flash is off.

IMAG0147.

3. Qafziel

Qafziel New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks for the info and the photo.

I'm sure it's an excellent unit and it does look great on your camera with the grip, but your response actually made me rethink this. I now see that without the grip (which I don't have and don't plan to buy or use) it will indeed seem a bit oversized, and if it also doesn't help with AF, than it is probably not the right choice for me.

I guess for now I'll try to see how much I can extract out of the bundled unit (I know, I know) and maybe I should start thinking about the FL600R which is both smaller and has all the features I'm looking for, but is much more expensive.

Oh well...

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...and you shouldn't ignore the FL36R. It is about 20% smaller, but uses on 2 AA batteries. Functions identically, albeit a little weaker, and is very well made. They go for about $125 used if you're patient.

Don't forget, you can put it on a Stroboframe or Oly bracket to help balance things out.

5. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm using the Metz 54 AF-2 (I think I might have the GN wrong) and it works well on OM-D, GH-1 and E-P1

6. Qafziel

Qafziel New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    Upadate: I eventually got the black Nissin Di466 (four-thirds edition). In terms of size and shape it looks like it was made just for this camera. It lacks some features - most notably: Swivel and off-camera TTL, but since it's about 30% cheaper than the Metz 44 and much cheaper than the Olympus options - I figured it's the best compromise for me at this point.

An extra plus is that is fits nicely into the side of my ThinkTank Retrospective 5. A bigger unit would have probably required getting a new bag.

The only little disappointment is that the AF lamp never lights up. The camera uses the illuminator on the camera. Since this seems to also happen with the Metz, I wonder if this is a designed feature of this camera, or maybe a bug...?

I've already gone out on 2 shoots with it and I'm quite happy with this entire combination.

• Like Like x 1