Anyone had any bags from SaddleBackLeather.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gyles, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Nice website, but what're their prices going to morph into for British Pounds?
    Good designs, good leather.
    I read all about all sorts of stuff but couldn't find the bit that says where all the stitching is done! That's just really weird.
    So ... better than cheap bags, cheaper than local handmade unless you find some generous genius in Norfolk.
    Nice website. I said that twice.
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I kind of find it funny what some of the things they are talking about. "Really thick 4-5oz. leather" when I routinely work in 8-12oz (not for bags). Sounds like this guy could be making quality, or could just be making it correctly, and charging an extravagent upcharge for good marketing. Once you know what to look for, you can find bags like this lots of places. You are paying for him doing all of the know-how, and you buying without having to look around. That is my impression at least, after reading through most of the website.

CARHOUND Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    The goods are made in Mexico, by skilled craftsman supposedly.

The bags are aesthetically beautiful from a rugged perspective. There are a lot of ******s out there, and there was some speculation that one of the employees was schilling the product on many websites around 2010 IIRC.

Overall, I've read nothing but good things about them. And I've seen a few in person during my travels in the Chicago Loop. They are nice bags, and if I can get over the weight (med. briefcase is 6.5 lbs. empty, a far cry from my relatively featherweight Alpine Lowe Explorer) and the cost I would like to get one.

Agreed, there are several cheaper alternatives that are just as well made. If you watch any of his youtube videos you'll get an idea of where all that money is going based on his office. Examples of similar bags can be found in with a search (buy-it-for-life subreddit)

The owner is also super religious, and does a lot of missionary work. If that has any bearing on your decision to endorse his products.
  5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    I have three Saddleback Leather bags (two satchels - small and medium - and a medium dry bag) and one of their pouches (I use the pouch for my Kindle Fire). All of them are extraordinary! Quality is absolutely superb, both the leather and the stitching/assembly. :2thumbs:

I've had many leather bags over the years... from a $1500 (current price) Hartmann briefcase (which cost only $275 when I bought it new in 1976) to a couple bags and notebook covers made by Renaissance-Art. Both those companies produce great stuff, but I gotta say the Saddleback Leather bags I have are the best of all.

Be careful though if you plan to use them for camera bags: they are full-grain (read "thick and heavy") leather and weigh substantially more than canvas or nylon bags like Domke, ThinkTank or Lowepro. But they'll last forever and the more you beat 'em up, the better looking they get. (I don't think it's possible to destroy one). :cool:

Yes, they're pricey, but if you can afford the freight, go for it. You'll never be disappointed. And your kids really will fight over it when you're gone.

NOTE... I have no affiliation with the company; I'm just a very satisfied buyer and really do love their stuff.
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Absolutely beautiful leather products, but way out of my price range. Top quality comes at a price. :cool:
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    They e-mailed me back : made in Mexico, yeah.
    Was I looking at different prices? Gadget bag $300, sounds fine to me considering it's supposed to be hand-stitched and properly lined etc etc.
    Maybe I didn't see the more expensive models or something.
    (I make all my own leathergoods so I'm interested but not a potential customer.)
  8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Most of the backpacks/briefcases started out at $600 plus. I also do leatherworking, and it seems like it is about a 50% markup above standard material+labor (figure $100 a hide, and another 20-30hrs in labor at $10/hr, and you are at about 300-400). Like I said, the markup probably comes from the great service and knowing you are buying a quality product to begin with, instead of having to look around. However, I do think that the "lifetime" warranty is a bit of a joke, as I know several things that can quickly abuse leather, regardless of stitching/riveting, unless proper care is taken with it.
  9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well 50% is a standard retail markup, so that sounds good.