Anyone got the Nikon D800 Yet?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Iconindustries, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was reading up on this today and looks nice but it's big, they reckon about a half an inch taller than the D700

I wonder what the noise is going to be like now that they've packed in 36 megapixels into it. I'm surprise as the D4 has only got 16! It's interesting that they're releasing a 2nd model the D800E which is going to have no low pass filter.

Quoting Engadget " This model captures slighter finer detail and "enhanced" resolution by removing the low-pass filter."

When somebody gets one let my know what you think:smile:

Here's the link

Nikon confirms 36.3 megapixel D800, we go hands-on -- Engadget

Edit. I noticed that the high ISO of the D800 is 25,600 compared to the D4 which is an unbelievable 204,800!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have the D700 that is more than enough quality wise, weight and size is the issue when carrying body with grip and a bag of lenses!

I only really use the D700 kit 3 or 4 times a year now for Airshow work and planning on doing less of that so considering letting the D700 go in exchange for Fuji X-Pro1 kit with 3 lenses as long as IQ is up to proclaimed quality and AF is better than X100.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I pre-ordered one for the heck of it, I'll probably sell my D700 and D300 to finance it.
  4. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Awww man, I really, really want this camera as a step up from my GH2. For me, I can't justify an APS since it's too close to the GH2 in IQ, but a FF or ultimately, a MF camera is the way to go for my career in fashion & commercial photography.

Baby steps, baby steps. Make the money, buy the gear, then make more money =D
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well Joe I reckon you would rock with one of these. You're already getting great shots with your GH2 so shots from one of these would blow the roof off the house.

But if you got one of these we would miss your pictures here from your GH2.

Money. Yeah your in a better situation than I am where you make money from your cameras whereas I just use them for fun. Can get a bit hard for me to justify my camera purchases that way.:smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    This camera look to be amazing. Makes me wonder of Canon will counter with a 5D MKIII.
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Nikon also announced the D-800E. The E version doesn't have the AA filter.
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think Nikon went in the wrong direction here. I'd much rather have the same sensor as in the D4, with higher ISO capability and a faster frame rate, than the totally unneeded (for me) extra MP.

Really, how often are you going to make 40x60" prints?
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Doesn't seem like the lens selection on the Fuji is going to be very useful for air shows, unless it's to take pictures of planes on the ground.
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Those RAW files are gonna be HUGE... from the comments on the DPR hands-on preview they're saying 70-100MB.
  11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

LOL :rofl: If I do venture out and get the Fuji X-Pro1 I will not in any way be using it for airshows other than static displays, it would not be intended for that purpose but for Portrait/street/landscape/documentary work - not for any type of fast moving activity.
  12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010

High end Fashion and high-end commercial work practically demands cameras like this. Ever seen those banners at a clothing store like GUESS or Calvin Klein? I think that this camera will be great for low ISO, high-detail work like studio work. It's really right up in my alley, since for me, it's either this camera or a medium format camera (I still want the latter, drools.....)
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Honestly, if you don't want to immerse yourself completely into Medium Format, then you should look at something like the Leica S2 instead. It's like a Medium Format sensor in a DSLR body. Full Frame DSLRs are just a stop-gap, and not a huge step up from APS-C or Four-Thirds. With the S2 you'll still retain the familiarity and performance of a DSLR... mostly.
  14. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I would still prefer a more modular system at a more entry level prices like a used Phase One or Mamiya cameras (David Hobby got his kit for $10,000). Later on, I can upgrade the back as I get more successful.

If I want a fixed back however, I'd rather get the Pentax 645D or hopefully its rumored mirrorless medium format camera. Still in that $10-14k range for a kit.

In the meantime, the 36MP Nikon D800/800E would be the perfect stop-gap, I think =D
  15. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    My thoughts exactly. There's the cost of the camera, and then the cost of the extra terabytes of hard drive I'd have to buy to satisfy my RAW habits.