Anyone going to get the new Panasonic 12-32 as a stand alone lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by deang001, Nov 10, 2013.

1. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I'm seriously considering getting this when it's released for my E-M1. I have no interest in the GM1.

I have the 12-40/2.8, but if this thing is a sharp as they say it is, I reckon it will be a great match for the E-M1 when wanting to go light. The E-M1, Pana 12-32 & Oly 45/1.8 would make for a great little light walk around set up. I like the fact that it's tiny and starts at 12mm at the wide end.

Will be every interested to see the pricing and evaluations of this new lens.

Anyone else considering getting this lens?

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Not really...I have the Oly 9-18mm which is already pretty light/tiny...they're both equally slow haha...(though at equivalent FLs the 12-32 may be a tiny bit faster, it's not a big enough difference for me to add another lens to the bag).

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I am, but I'm afraid the pancake design compromises performance

4. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I'm sure it will compromise performance, but they are saying it's better than all of the other standard "kit" zooms. If this is the case, the quality should be good enough when wanting light weight and not needing fast apertures.

Keen to see what the AF speed is like as well.

I'm thinking this will be a nice versatile street lens.

5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I would love to get this lens and put it on a GX7. Hopefully, there will be people willing to part with this from a kit so I can buy 'em off eBay.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lack of MF ring is a problem... I use it on all my lenses...

7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Just look at the sample images so far. It's very clearly better than any other kit zoom on the system. I suspect that benefits of the small aperture short focal length range outweighed the compromises of pancake construction. I'm also considering the lens, since I basically just use the 12-50mm as a 12mm prime, aside from the occasional macro shot, or usage during rain. But yes, lack of MF could be a serious issue.

8. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Yes, I'm planning to sell my G5 with the 14-45 'old' kit zoom and buying a GX7 and the 12-32.
    I shoot mostly primes, but sometimes a standard zoom is handy and the 12-32 is small, lightweight and several tests indicate
    that it's a good performer, so no-brainer for me.

9. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I am concidering it for travel along with its forth coming sibling tele zoom, it looks like it will have good enough iq but will wait for a few tests and the price to come down. The size of it is fantastic and with the savings it and the tele make means an extra small body can be taken.

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Same! In all honesty, from all I've read, as far as the bang-for-buck or bang-for-size goes, this lens is going to be pretty hard to beat. But...a manual focus ring would certainly have been nice, even if it was a half-assed one like the one on the Canon 50 1.8.

11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Probably not. I have the 14-42X for when I want to go super-small. The performance is good enough, it's only nominally larger and has a wider focal length range (edit: I forgot about the 2 mm on the wide end.)

12. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    I know it makes no sens, but I am wondering if I should go for a 12-32 instead of a 12-40. The reasoning here is that I have a 45 f1.8 which I will likely keep, so the extra range is already covered; also, I wonder if the 12-40 will be too big to be my everyday lens, can't wait to see it in person and finally, budget is a factor of the equation. The other reasons why I would I go for the 12-40. Of course, its more convenient with weatherproofing (to go with my e-m5), it has macro capability (to replace my 12-50mm), it has a bit of a better range, it is brighter and better quality. Decisions, decisions...

13. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    If it's a step above the 14-42, and the performance is good at 12mm I might well consider it if the price goes to somewhere near the 200€.

For those of us looking for a cheaper alternative to the Oly 12mm it might well fit the bill.

14. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Just translated the review.

Looks like the performance at 12mm is not very good :(

15. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Considering it, as I don't have a kit zoom, like the size for a general walk-around lens, and it would be nice to go wider than 14mm. But I'll wait to see how reviews and second-hand prices shake out.

16. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I see this lens as the NEX 16-50mm pancake design done right. While the Sony looks neat on paper it suffers from too many aberrations that makes it a below-average kit lens. This on the other hand covers the same focal range, is more compact, and it's noticeably better optically than the lauded 14-45mm zoom. Yet another point in favor of M43.

17. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    What review? The one's I've read so far have been very very positive. The performance at 12mm looks very good to me:

From ephotozine

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/e...asonic-Lumix-GM1-Wide-P1560202_1383822672.jpg

From dpreview, this copy of the lens seems to be decentered a bit (right side is soft), but most of the frame is very sharp:

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.c...203951&Signature=osGykeOQgvs6z/oiNJ/rWxvXKA0=

Except for the extreme corners, sharpness-wise that looks comparable to the 12mm f2 to me. Of course there are other factors like color rendition, contrast, and CA, but this looks very good for a kit lens.

18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
  19. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    The sharpness looks pretty good judging from the Polish site.

For me, this lens doesn't need to break any records ... just needs to be a decent performer and if it can better the other standard kit zooms, that's an excellent accomplishment for a lens it's size.

The fact that it starts at 12mm and is super compact are it's strengths.

The 12-32 will make my E-M1 even more appealing and a totally different camera with this lens mounted. As much as I love the 12-40, the size of the 12-32 turns the camera into a light weight, super high quality combination. With a 45/1.8 in your pocket ... your ready to roll !!

The only thing I'm worried about is the AF speed. It needs to be fast.

I read in the Photozone forum that they will test this one as soon as they can get one ... so hopefully we will see something from them in the next 3-4 weeks.

Edit: Would be great if that Polish site had an English version like Lenstip does. I think it would be very popular among the M43 community.

20. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    No. I'm going to wait until I can afford the m.Zuiko 12-40 f2.8. An amazing lens by all accounts (it should be for the price!).