1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone getting the Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster S?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Whtrbt7, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster S
    http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BM2

So is anyone getting this adapter? Unfortunately, I sold off all of my L glass but I can see where Canon users that are starting to switch would really appreciate this. What lenses would you use with this?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I just bought some other equipment... in a week or two I'll place an order. Just bad timing really.

Might be used with some of the faster canon primes, however it's really for the 30 Sigma that I want it. The 30 Art is nice and small (small.. by dslr standards, not really saying much?), most importantly it should be a true normal lens. It's a combination that I've lusted after for some time =)

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I had considered getting it (not the S version) for my GH4, but it's not compatible with EF-S lenses and I wasn't happy with that. Could've probably worked around it, since Sigma/Tamron lenses aren't EF-S, but I went with Nikon instead. (Didn't have existing investments in either side.)

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I guess the Canon EF mount also opens up modern Zeiss lenses for use if you are worried about the focus direction.

5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm planning to. I'll leave my Sigma 18-35 f/1.8A on my Nikon booster and then just put shims on most of my other lenses at this rate. Then I can start building a Canon collection...

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I put the order in for it today, no idea on how long it will take to ship though.

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    As soon as I have the funds, yes. I need some paying gigs first. Now that it's November and the winter is pretty quiet, it probably won't happen until the spring.

8. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
  9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It would be roughly equal to a 20mm lens at f/1.278 (a third of a stop faster than 1.4) in both light and depth of field, the field of view would be roughly equal to a 40mm on a full frame (with the equivalent light and dof of f/2.538). Canon APS-C isn't APS-C, it's smaller (hence for them it would be 44mm ish)

Equivalence is all kind of bull**** though just find something that works and use it, it's not really worth fussing over if something is faster if it doesn't suit your needs.

10. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it!

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Well it's shipped, I doubt I'll get it tomorrow however it should be in my hands the day after... already very excited =)

12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Well I have it, it's absolutely amazing for some things less so for others, it's a keeper for sure... however I do have one issue on Olympus cameras which is pretty easily solved (they're sending me a replacement bayonet which should fix it, the locking hole wasn't machined deep enough (works on one E-M1 however not the other, the difference in pin height that disables the camera is 0.82mm vs 0.90mm with the latter not working)).

The image stabilization works however it it's not as good as native lenses (the focal length I'm using (30mm lens, camera 'sees' 21mm) doesn't seem to equate to the correct length for IS, so it over corrects slightly on larger movements, small movements are still removed very well and it still gives a large improvement over turning it off (I'm not going to go into the one stop two stop crap and just say better with than without currently).

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    A 30mm lens on a Speedbooster is 21mm, so the IS should be spot on? Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you wrote?

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've been testing it further, my initial post was actually wrong.

The image stabilization doesn't work at all currently, there is none at all. Turning it off and back on has no effect, the camera makes noise like it's working however it doesn't shift the sensor. Pulling the lock and rotating the lens to disable communication makes the IS kick in instantly and the image becomes perfectly still(If you had preset the focal length in use). Likewise there is absolutely no IS while recording movies with the current firmware version.

I've been talking to metabones about it though, I'm sure we can get an updated firmware pushed out shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    To add to that, you can tell that it's doing nothing because moving the camera rapidly in different directions doesn't cause the clack clack as the sensor hits its limits - it just hisses like it's active (but doesn't do anything).

I only have the one lens with me currently however I'll be able to test further on monday (I don't normally carry canon lenses around, although I highly suspect this will change in the future).

16. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Tested it a bit again today with different lenses, the same story with every lens tested.

Lenses with built in IS appeared to function, it's just built in sensor shift is disabled.

17. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    eteless,

Specifically what lenses are you using?

18. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The main lens I've been using is a sigma 30mm f1.4 ART, however I've tested using a canon 50mm f1.4, f1.8, and 70-200mm f2.8.

edit: I'm not really interested in 2.8 zooms, zooms just don't excite me as much as a normal f1.0 - without sensor shift IS it's far less attractive though.