Anyone getting 503 Errors ?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by phigmov, Mar 12, 2011.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Intermittently at first but then more regularly I get:

---

503 Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily busy, try again later!
    Powered By LiteSpeed Web Server
    LiteSpeed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!

---

Is it just me ?

Cheers,
    Raj.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Raj, thanks for letting us know. I haven't not experienced this from here in New York via Safari.

Please report back if it continues and let us know which browser you've experienced this with.

3. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Hi BB,

Just saw your reply but couldn't get to it.

Logged in with Safari AOK and it seems fine.

Prior to that it was all in Chrome v9.059 via OS X - just noticed theres a Chrome update so I'll give that a crack and see how I go.

Maybe it is just my browser sending the wrong stuff over and the web-server throwing an error.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Raj.

• Like Like x 1
  4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    It's a server-side error, not a browser issue.

5. BBW

Raj, please keep us posted, OK?

By the way, it's good to see you again - you've been missed! I heard a story on the National Public Radio the other day - and it made me think of you...because the person interviewed had your name. Got me to wondering.:wink:

6. BBW

Can you explain, Deirdre? I will need to send a missive to our fearless Admin and Founder.

7. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    When I went into 'About Chrome' there was a message to restart the browser as it had 'automagically' updated from 9.0.59 to 10.0.64 - not sure when this happened. Theres no Preference in Chrome for handling updates so I'm guessing Google slid something in while I wasn't looking.

The error was definitely server side but I suspect as it was intermittent (some threads were fine others weren't) the updated browser was doing something odd when requesting pages from the web-server (ie a client/server interaction issue).

Seems fine on the new version of Chrome - will let you know if it happens again.

Cheers,
    Raj.

PS - BB - I've been making great use of your old 20mm f1.7 Pany :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

Glad you're having fun with it - have you posted any photos here? If not, why not?:biggrin:

9. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I wouldn't bother writing it up. Error codes in the 400s and 500s come from the web server. Some error codes can be because of browser or data issues (such as a corrupt cookie), but a 503 really does just mean the server was busy. It's generally a fluke transitory failure -- a bunch of people asked for something at once, and it threw up its hands for some of them. If the sever gets much busier than that, the web server won't be able to give error codes at all.

10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Strangest thing... I was getting this same error for about half of the posts marked unread while other posts were working. I was using Chrome. I loaded it up on firefox and those posts loaded fine then switched back to Chrome and now it seems like its working again.