1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone get their hands on the SLR magic 12mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Grinch, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just wondering if anyone has tried out this lense personally. Not looking for links or references to reviews, but personal experience. I have the opportunity to acquire, but not sure if it's worth the dollars as compared to the oly 12.

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

The oly 12 is far superior if you have the money. From what I gathered of reviews from people that have used both lenses, the Oly 12 is the one to get if you have the money. Tack sharp through out the aperture range, but the SLR Magic 12mm is good for the money if you cannot afford the OLY, and is quit soft wide open.
    I have heard people buying them for less than the OLY 12 but never found any links to ones for sale, and the people who i seen post about them either sold theirs to buy the oly 12 or they only had a copy given to them to test. So i never found a source. I personally Like soft focus, which is why I look for one.

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Soo can anyone tell me where i can find one to buy?

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    SLR Magic has an Ebay store and they're on Amazon. They don't seem to have their own web site and the 12mm doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere. I've only seen reviews and have never heard of anyone that actually bought one.

Fred

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Fred i find the same thing to be true. I have tried to email them from both their store and the Noktor site and never got replies at all. It was suggested to me that the 12mm that was reviewed was an already expensive C mount that was Modified beyond just the mount, with the addition of elements too. Such that the base cost of the lens and the modification would be well over 700 USD, in a final retail price, if they were to make the standard profit off it, and no one is going to pay more for that lens than the OLY 12mm.
    I think they might have made a few samples but never worked out a feasible cost effective way of mass production for the lens.

Hey Grinch, did you ever buy that lens? And if you did , it must have been from someone who was sent it as a review copy I guess. SO who was that reviewer..lol

6. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    According to THIS at least 2 have been sold in the UK.

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Actually I've found a retailer, who is offering new copies not a reviewer...they have not received stock as of yet, and they have only stated they are coming. I've been told retail of about $495 Canadian, so I don't know where this $700 plus number is from. I did see one sell on eBay for $575 I believe, but it's eBay so price is dependent on who's gotta have it and willing to pay too much to have it now!

8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Like I said, that was from someone else who was making a suggestion. However this link RR76 provided for 2 new ones that sold with a buy it now of about GBP 399.99 (US $627.74) makes me think there was some merit in that persons Speculation. I was also taking to people about this on another forum, months ago. I wish could remember links or find the conversation again. But i remember they had a link to the c-mount lens manufacturers site that it looked like, and the cost of that lens, as-well as another link to anther forum, where some guy was talking to a place in china that modified the fujinon 14mm for ยต4/3 users, well anyway, they know of the lens and manufacturer and mentioned what modifications were necessary to it, including different aperture blades and addition of front elements. Sorry i cant provide links proof, but that's what i remember so far. So you see its mostly conjecture.
    But for atleast two hundred dollars less (@495 )than Oly's 12mm, for no auto-focus and the option to be a little faster at the expense of some image softness, doesn't sound like a bad compromise, but still iffy to me. Might be a good way to save if you like to manual focus and the 200 makes the difference between getting or not getting a 12mm
    haha... at-least 2 selling in one country doesn't scream retail production to me . I am still convinced its just samplings and test selling of, most likely hand modified, lenses and that they have not gone into full retail production yet. They are probably waiting till the preorders are to a certain point before they are made.
    So Grinch, whats that site you speak of taking preorders?

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    It's not a site, it's an actual brick and mortar store, but I don't want to say who as they do not have them yet, and I was given this info off the record. Once I have put down a deposit, or stock is in I will gladly forward all info. I don't want to cause this retailer any hassles, as I was told this in confidence, after having made inquiries about this lens. Also, I did find a retailer in Germany, but didn't want to deal overseas, plus a language barrier as this has caused issues in the past. I have been dealing with kaza( out of Korea) for 6 months over them sending me the wrong camera case which to boot was defective as well, and have still not received what I ordered. So I've learnt my lesson.

10. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
  11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hey Grinch, let me know when that store of yours gets those lenses in. Maybe i can convince you to let me give you the money to by me one too.. $495 is not too bad.