Anyone figured out how to open E-P3 ORF files in Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I changed the camera model to E-PL1 using Exiftool, but the files still won't open in Lightroom. Anyone find a workaround yet?
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Not me. I tried ep2 in the exif. No dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  3. Cheddarchick

Cheddarchick Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2011
    I have the E-pl2. I had to get the new Lightroom 3 for teachers & students......It does work great and right now it is on sale at Staples for $69 (if you have a student or teacher who can help you pass certification). I downloaded the trial version first
  4. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Open it in Olympus Viewer, convert it to TIFF and import the TIFF in Lightroom. As long as Lightroom does not support the E-P3, this is the only valid way.
  5. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I haven't heard a peep about LR compatibility. Adobe hasn't even updated ACR or the DNG converter yet.

I hope we get some kind of RAW conversion soon. No M43 camera has ever had great RAW support from Adobe, but shooting RAW+JPEG and socking away all the RAW files is killing me!
  6. jonoslack

jonoslack Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Dpreview seem to have had a beta version of ACR to use, so I guess it's coming.
    It is frustrating though - I actually use Aperture, so perhaps, for once, Apple will get there first (he dreams pointlessly). Otherwise it'll be dng converter when it finally arrives.

7. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    There are new public release candidates about every 4 months, such that I suspect that we will see a solution soon. However, since there are just new ยต4/3 cameras, which are treated a little bit as orphans by Adobe, it seems to take longer this time.
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Jono, wonderful to see you here at Mu-43! Not the first time you and I have been waiting together for RAW support of a new camera, is it? :smile:
  9. pault

pault Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Hi, I have been using "Raw Photo Processor" to do initial adjustments and save to tiff for final edit in LR3
    Might be worth a trregards
  10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't forget to use 16 bit per channel TIFF!
  11. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I can not say how much it means to me that Jono and you keep testing the cameras I'd like to have. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. krysdafur

krysdafur Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Its not as good as Lightroom but PhotoDirector can open EP3 orf files. A couple months ago someone on the forum made a post about the company giving their software for free to beta testers. I signed up and got it for free. Didn't use it much because I prefer Lightroom but today I tried to see if it would work on EP3 files and it did!

They have a download trial if you're interested: PhotoDirector 2011 - Photo Editing Software for Fantastic Photos
  13. jonoslack

jonoslack Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    HI Amin
    Thank you it's lovely to be here! As you say - waiting for RAW support. It's Aperture I'm after, but DNG converter would be a decent stopgap. In the meantime I'm shooting jpg+RAW, importing both into aperture but using the jpg as the master file - interesting to shoot jpg again for a few weeks, and decent discipline with respect to getting the exposure and WB right first time!

I have to say - 24 in and I really think this camera is the dog's doodad's - it's excellent and really good fun to use.

In practice the VF2 bug is fine - just a case of 'oops, the thumb dial doesn't work, get that nose off the LCD - I started off having a touch screen off mode, but it's really not necessary as long as you understand what's happening.

all the best