1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone familiar with the Polaroid CPL (Circular Polarizer Filter)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by colbycheese, Jun 2, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I wanted to grab a polarizer to do some photography through my back window. I didnt want to spend too much but i was planning on getting it in 58mm and use step down rings so it can be used with all my lenses. Amazon Canada is where i would like to buy from online because I have amazon prime. Anyways amazon has these polaroid polarizers for around 17 bucks. I saw the B+W but it was over 100 dollars. Are these Polaroid ones any good? if not what is a cheap alternative that is good?

2. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    I guess for $17 it's probably as good as any other one.
    Ken Rockwell seems to like the Hoya HD series Circular Polarizer filters:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/hoya/hd-filters.htm
    But the HD line is now discontinued, replaced by the HD2.
    The advantage of the Hoya HD/HD2 Circular Polarizers is that they transmit more light than most, and are quite thin. However, they're not inexpensive... but they're not as expensive as b+w filters. ($64 an excellent price for an older HD version at Adorama http://www.adorama.com/HY58CPLHD.html It's probably a clearance item. ) Unfortunately amazon.ca pricing is outrageous compared to the Adorama price.
    I have one in the 58mm size, and I'm quite pleased with it.

I've read that Bower filters are manufactured by the same OEM as Vivitar, so you may be better off buying this $25 bower filter package from Bestbuy.ca. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...a-58mm-filter-kit-vfk58c-vfk58c/10191620.aspx For $25, why not try it out, and if you don't like it, you can always return it to your local BestBuy store.

I have a cheap 58mm variable ND Vivitar filter and it's OK, but I haven't pixel peeped to gauge its quality. The variable ND adds quite a bit of purple colouring when its close to the maximum ND value.

Pretty much for my more "serious" filters I limit myself to Hoya HMC (multicoated) filters as the "how low will I go" level.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've had good luck with a new "old" linear polarizer from the film days, which I bought in its box off eBay for $10.

4. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    My advice would be to get a good quality CPL. Beware of the ones which are too cheap because they may end up degrading your image quality; it does not make sense to spend a lot of money on excellent photo gear only to cripple the imaging capabilities by using a cheap CPL filter. I would rather try to save some money by buying used CPL filters of good brands such as Vivitar and Nikon rather than brand new ones of less reputable brands.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Hoya HMC is good enough for me. The Polaroid name is used on an awful lot of cheap crud these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This. :thiagree:

I think I'd avoid the Polaroid. Also, as @agentlossing@agentlossing noted, mirrorless cameras don't require circular polarizers, so you might be able to save a few dollars by purchasing a linear polarizer.

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I found a hoya one for a decent price in the 58mm size. It is the g series and its only 55 bucks. Wondering if this is worth it. I am assuming its no the same as the hd ones but i honestly don't know. I found a hoya hd one at henrys here http://www.henrys.com/64527-HOYA-58MM-HIGH-DENSITY-CIRC-POL-DIGITAL.aspx and i might just get this one

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Why dont they need circular ones? is it have something to do with the mirror? I found a good deal on a linear polarizer and if it works on micro four thirds I might get it to save a bit. This is the one i found
    http://www.amazon.ca/Tiffen-58POL-5...qid=1433435973&sr=1-2&keywords=58mm+polarizer

It is made by tiffen and i was wondering if that is a good brand or not. It got pretty good reviews on amazon, and its only 40 bucks. In the worst case i could always return it.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    In my experience Tiffen is okay (likely better than Polaroid), but Hoya is probably a step better. In fact, my basic advice for filters (which I picked up from someone much more experienced than me on this forum) is: "Hoya or better". Heliopan, B+W, Singh-Ray, etc. are the high end, but to me the difference between them and Hoya is not substantial for a non-professional.

As far as the difference between linear and circular polarizers, here's a link.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

If you are looking to keep the cost down, Tiffen is ok. As mentioned above, there are better filters but they will cost more. I had a couple of Tiffens in the past when I was trying to save money and never noticed any image degradation.