1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone familiar with John Free? (www.johnfreephotography.com)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by madmaxmedia, Mar 20, 2014.

1. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Anyone familiar with John Free? (www.johnfreephotography.com) He's a longtime street photographer in Los Angeles, and does workshops in different places (I guess many in LA). I randomly found some of his Youtube videos recently, and now am considering doing one of his workshops-

https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnFreePhtography
    http://www.johnfreephotography.com/about-john-free/

There's a real frankness and simplicity to his manner and what he talks about that I really like (I think the same can be said for his photographic approach and his photos.) One of my favorite photography quotes is from him (I think it's someone's sig here?)- "You gotta hook the heart to the camera."

Some of his workshops are film only (specifically a manual SLR + a 50), others are flexible in whatever the person chooses. I would probably ideally bring both a film and digital, having just bought a Pentax MX on EBay for cheap (I had some Pentax manual lenses lying around, the MX is small enough that I might actually carry it around and use it!)

Besides the organized workshops, he does private workshops around LA. I don't know if the price is the same for 1 person or 3-4, if a couple of others here were interested I could find out about a small group rate.

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I like his videos, have been subscribed to his youtube channel a while now. I too appreciate his frank tone. Pity I don't live in LA anymore, I would be so down to do a private workshop with him.

3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Malaysia's not too far away! ;)

• Like Like x 1