anyone epm-1 + 25mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tetzumaru, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    Hello all,

Does anyone have this kind of combo e-pm1 + 25mm 2.8 zuiko, If you do can I see some pics here, Please....pretty please.

searched high and low on the threads but did not see any pic.
    I want to have an idea of the size before I pull the trigger for the adapter.

Thanks!

2. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I was researching this lens a month or two ago when I saw one for sale reasonably cheap and I found a bunch of shots on flickr from someone using it extensively with an E-P1 as well as obviously a bunch of 4/3 cameras. Without the pancake form factor on a m4/3 body I decided the lens didn't offer me enough to make me want to buy it.

4. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    Thanks offriver. That link is brilliant. Ok now all I need is the money.

Hope to see some adapters at the market place as soon as the weather sealed one is announced.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Curious why the 25/2.8 rather than the 20/1.7. Is it price, or something else?

By the time you add the adapter in, the prices are a lot closer, and the 20/1.7 is a far better lens.

DH

6. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    I already have the 25mm 2.8 and 70-300.

7. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    I do want that 20mm 1.7 as well, but no budget yet.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Ah, I see. Makes sense.

FWIW, used 25/2.8s go for ~$150, adapters for ~$80-100 and secondhand 20/1.7s are in the $270 range.

DH

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use this combination all the time. In fact, I was using it at work last night. After shooting models in a makeshift location studio with the E-PM1 and Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD, I popped on the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 to shoot some nightclub scene photos with them.

The Zuiko 25mm/2.8 pancake along with the Four-Thirds to Micro Four-Thirds adapter is approximately the same packing size as the 14-42mm kit zoom in retracted position. It's a thicker combination in diameter, but the same length.

I personally prefer the 25mm over the native pancakes because of the fact that it uses the Four-Thirds mount. Most of my other glass (even adapted ones) use this mount as well, so using the 25mm as my pancake allows me to swap lenses without also swapping adapters. Plus, I'm also familiar with its capabilities and enjoy its image quality. Telecentric Four-Thirds lenses have that safety aspect in the image quality area... they always shine. :)

Your Zuiko 70-300mm f/4-5.6 will also be very useful to you on the Mini. It may even save you the need to purchase an additional Macro lens, as it has very good tele-macro capabilities. Not as sharp or easy to handle as a dedicated macro lens, but it gives you 3 feet working distance at 1:2. Plus, being Four-Thirds glass you can also use the EC-14 1.4x teleconverter, EC-20 2.0x teleconverter, or EX-25 25mm extension tube with these lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    Thanks Ned, I'll be surveying the marketplace for an adapter, hope to see some good prices as soon as the new one comes out.