1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone else want to see LARGER bodies?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, May 26, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK, I know why m43 is here, and I LOVE it. My EPM1 + certain lenses are carry around all day long. Fantastic. EPx line is great range-finder-esque, and the GH series is like a mini DSLR.

But I'm also really enjoying my Panasonic 100-300, but it's not great with the EPM1, even with a modified grip. I've got an OMD on order, but looking at videos, and hearing other comments, it's still a small body. I've tried the GH2 out, and even that's pretty small.

I want them to keep cranking out excellent small lenses, etc. but would anyone else have interest in a larger body? I do occasionally like to pick up my DSLR, but I don't want 2 systems, 2 sets of lenses, etc. I'm not talking Canon 5D sized, but more like Canon Rebel, Nikon D3100 or maybe even Oly E620, but still mirrorless. Maybe with a second big brain to handle C-AF processing somehow, lol.

Any rate, I am not giving up my small bodies, but now that m43 is convincing me I can ditch my DSLR set-up, I could use a single, larger body in my kit. Anyone else think so?

2. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Buy the grip for your OM-D E-M5 and your problem will be solved!

3. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    You should try the E-M5, with the grip. I think size-wise, it's close to perfection.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the E-M5 with grip IS nice, but it's also $1,300.....without a lens. Surely there should be other options. I think the GH series bodies feel good, too, but still...bigger wouldn't hurt. It's not like they're pocketable.....and the reduction in weight in glass is nice.....so a little bigger body (as an option....not to replace all the little bodies) would be cool.

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I'm good with the size of the GH2 and G2, especially with the substantial grips on both. They work well with the 14-140 and 45-200; have never tried or even seen the 100-300. I doubt I'd want anything larger, but I also do most of my shooting in the middle range.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Surely it won't be too long before a high quality replica grip (but without the underside section) is available. Its just crazy that Olympus is forcing people to buy BOTH sections because from what I've read....the handling of the EM5 improves by multiples with the grips attached.

I think if we are to have our wishes answered in having these great new high-end bodies with ALL the features we demand.....more dials, knobs, buttons, switches and built in
    EVFs then slightly larger bodies may be required....if not larger bodies, then at least ones were ergonomic design is not just an afterthought.

7. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I have never held a camera by it's body I have always cradled the lens especially on teles. I think the Pens are perfect .

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    You will find that even without the grip, the E-M5 is substantially bigger and "grippier" than the E-PM1. You can't really judge m4/3 bodies by the E-PM1, which is the MINI MICRO. There are lots of larger m4/3 bodies already out there; you have the smallest of the lot.

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I wouldn't want to see any larger bodies, and I'm 6'3" and do find the PEN cameras a little small. However, if the bodies are made larger you start getting into small DSLR territory (though I realise the lenses are still much smaller). Initially I found my E-PL1 too small and fiddly, but I bought a half case for it (one of the styles that also covers the back of the camera, but with carve outs for the screen and buttons) and now I find it much more comfortable to hold.

10. I DID once have the same thoughts about larger bodies, but after experimenting with different ways to hold and shoot these cameras I realised that the size of the currently available cameras wasn't really a problem for me.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good point on the OMD + Grip. I may just be getting impatient.

12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Rather than wish for bigger bodies, you could just get a smaller lens. I bet the 75-300 would be perfectly sized for your OM-D, and the new IBIS would work spectacularly!

13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    The current size of the bodies(both Oly and Panny) is just fine with me.

Although I would like to see a viewfinder integrated into a PEN body(humpless) - so I guess that would make it bigger.

14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I would have no problem with abit of a larger body for a performance boost. For myself the bigger factor is the total weight..the bodies are too big to be pocketable imho.

And 300$ for the grip seems crazy to me. Could you imagine spending another third of the total cost on something like a car accessory to increase its handling?! Bring on the knockoffs.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How would you feel about a $150 grip with a street price of $100 or less (if 3rd party) ala Canon. That would make me much more comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd just like a good landscape grip for the E-P4 or E-PM2, similar to the one the OM-D has. That way you still have a small camera when you need it, but you can make it handle reasonably with larger lenses (like the 12-60) too.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I like the bigger bodies we already have available. I don"t think I need anything bigger, but I don"t want to lose what we have. I was very disappointed to see the downsizing and removal of controls from the G3. I'm happy to see Olympus making a "regular" sized body.

My benchmark for size is the Olympus OM-1, sometime with, sometimes without the auto winder.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  19. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I see you are getting the OM-D already.Like me,you will probably be shocked at how small it is.Pictures don't really relate this because everything on the camera is scaled down so perfectly.Initially,I wanted to reject it because every control on it is bunched a little too closely, but after a couple of days,the qualities of the camera came shining through.This applies to ALL new gear,give it a chance before judging it.
    Anyway,I still find it a bit too small to feel comfortable holding it without a strap attached. the grab bump is very subtle.But I urge you to get the grip.Yes, it is overpriced, but how it tranforms the camera into,yes,a pro feeling serious rig is amazing.A neccessity if you use that big 100-300 lens.For others not buying the E-M5,the G1,G2, GH2 cameras have very generous grips and layouts and are a good value now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I wouldn't want a bigger body until the big lenses come on-stream...
    For now, I reckon the E-M5 + grip or GH2 is enough for the Panny 100-300, which I think is the biggest native lens.
    Sure, adapted 4/3 lenses are way bigger, but there are still 4/3 bodies available, with two more rumoured to be coming (E-xxx & E-7), and the 4/3 lenses perform better on native bodies with PDAF.
    Because we are still waiting for a hybrid solution to PDAF, we will get those longer lenses and matching bodies at the same time. I doubt any careful buyer would buy a bigger body now, just for the adapted 4/3 lenses. They would run the risk of it being obsolete very quickly.
    I think Olympus was very clever with the grip option on the E-M5. It's enough, without being too much.