Anyone else Upgrading from Full Frame?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gr8Shot, Nov 14, 2013.

1. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 13
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Exactly. This was why sold my SLR kit. I simply didn't take it with me.
  3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    You better not let those full frame guys hear you calling this an upgrade. :smile:

I had a Nikon D600 and sold it after getting the E-M1. I won't say it beats full frame in every aspect but it certainly is a very capable, fun camera that is a lot easier to take around due to the smaller lens sizes. To me the full frame Nikons have a clear advantage in image quality, but whether that matters or not is a different story.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    My E-M5 certainly matches my Pentax K-5 in most areas and beats it in several.
    Never regretted the switch.
  5. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I love my E-M1 but would never sell my D800E which I like just as much.

My findings are a bit different to yours. I find the difference more pronounced but in line with my expectations.

IQ is better on the D800E, but The E-M1 is better than I expected.

As much as I love the E-M1 I find major differences in DR & ISO. The D800E is a lot better.

I also find the focusing of the D800 better as we'll. Especially with the 24-70. It simply never fails to lock onto a target ... even in low light. AF-S or AF-C. In AF-C the two cameras are not even in the universe. Depended on lenses a lot too I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my E-M1 and for its size it does very well but it can't keep up the the D800 on most fronts.

I find the OVF better than the EVF as we'll.

I also think the controls are better on the D800 as well but it's a bigger camera and to be expected.

The D800E has a tendency to over expose in matrix mode. It gives weight to what's under the focus point for some reason ... not like it did in the D80 days, but it's back albeit at a lesser degree. No such issues on my D700. The E-M1 exposes more consistently I'm finding so far which is a plus in its favour.

The main reason I like M43 is because of its size/IQ ratio. In fact, as much as I appreciate the 12-40/2.8, I may eventually sell it due to it's size & bulk as It doesn't really fit in to why I got into M43. I may just use the upcoming 12-32 as a zoom along with some small primes for M43. If I want better quality I'll use the Nikon FF gear.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    I do photography for a living so still have a FF camera also want a Fuji :)

for me I love cameras all cameras :) I do grab the OMD for everything personal though and don't worry about to much

if anything I will get a Sony FF maybe next version and some nice manual CV lens choices for fun for the next high MP camera

I do think for those who just want a nice camera for fun and hobby the OMD is the best thing going and M4/3 is the best thing going unless its purely for sports or for nature animals things like birds ? even then if its not making you money then the M4/3 again and a few moments learning how to get the shot but again if someone wants more for fun more power to them :)
  7. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    You can set one of the wheels to change ISO by flipping the 2x2 switch. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    You always make better pictures…if you have your camera with you. I tended to leave my dslrs at home a lot, now..I want to take this EM1..everywhere..and it's small/light enough to do so. It doesn't beat my Canon 6D..for IQ, but it will make better photos if I have it with me.
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    There's a few of us here moved from FF. I dislike owning multiple systems so I sold off my entire 5DIII kit. My EM-5 kit makes me happy more than not owning an FF camera makes me sad. I frequently go back to editing old RAW files to practice and play, and I'll be reminded of the ultra-thin DOF and low light performance that comes with the large sensor and shooting 1.2 primes. I do miss it sometimes, if I'm honest, but my response is to go out and make more pictures, and my m43 kit affords me that much more mobility.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    My experience with the D800 and E-M1 leaves a lot of difference from gr8shot's.

The size, weight, cost, face detection, and stabilization factors favors the E-M1.

Everything else belongs in the purview of the D800. The more extreme the conditions, the more unique the situation, the more need for versatility, the more the D800 shines.

However, as mentioned the Nikons resale value is significantly better than anything Olympus/Panasonic has produced in the last five years. Your sale helps to document that along with what I got for my 4/3s gear. But is initial price the whole story?

When getting the D800 my newest lens was from 1999! All of the pro level glass from the 90s is still excellent, produces excellent IQ, and functions as well as new - despite the tens of thousands of photos each has taken. My glass covers everything from 17-400mm along with an outstanding and unique zoom macro lens.

Will Panasonic/Olympus gear like the 12, 17, 25, 45, 75, 7-14, 12-35, 12-40, 35-100, 40-150 f/2.8 last a decade of heavy shooting. Will they bring better than 60% of their original price after 10 years? Will they function like new and provide near the best IQ available on a new u4/3s camera ten years from now? In the end, which will be the better deal?

In some regards I feel like have gone full circle since the 70s. The D800 replaced the Hassleblad, the D7100 replaced the film 35mms, and the E-M1 replaces the rangefinder. BTW - The Hassy and gear was initially the most expensive of the gear I have ever owned, yet over time the best bang for the buck!

The E-M1 and gear is no D800, yet very capable.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  12. gs3xr_fun

gs3xr_fun Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Since ordering the EM1 I've been contemplating of replacing my FF gear as already mentioned it is heavy so myself tend to leave most of it at home when I go out. Just got home from my daughter's theater perfomance and I guess I'm taking down my craiglist ad for my D4. I haven't actually gone out of the house with the D4 since I received my EM1 last week as I was having so much fun with my adapted legacy lens with the EM1's focus peaking and really good IBIS. I decided to bring out the D4 out of the closet just incase I need it and it turn out I really did need it. I packed the D4 with my usual combo lens of 24-70 and 70-200 and almost decided of just leaving it for its weight. Maybe I just need to get more familiar in using the EM1 to get cleaner images out of it in high ISO situation but I guess for me the EM1 can't really replace my D4 yet on most situation. This weekend I'll find out if the EM1 is good enough to replace my D600 for sunrise and landscape shoot. I'm having fun using the Oly that the only thing I regret about buying it is getting it through OlympusUSA.

off topic:
    How do you do custom white balance? On my Nikon, I set WB to preset, hold the WB button, take a single shot, then its done.
  13. gs3xr_fun

gs3xr_fun Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    M4/3 is an "upgrade" since they do employ newer technology and not beholden to the old design.
  14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahaahahaah agree . Now I don't know why we are still stuck at MFT vs FF , we need to move on . All the modern digital cameras are capable of taking great pics and there is nothing wrong in closing the one you like or comfortable using own. MFt offers the best blend of IQ , portability and lenses . The technology is moving faster so be ready newer smaller sensors beating older big sensors .So let's shoot and have fun .
  15. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    While I think the EM1 is a great camera indeed as is my EP5 is the EM1 an upgrade from a Nikon 800E no way! Apples vs oranges only my opinion.
  16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I sold my Canon FF system because of priorities (family). This is the main attraction to Micro 4/3rds system. On the other hand, I still have a FF system that I refuse to give up. Each system has a adv and disadv and when lifestyle changes, I figure the camera that no longer fits will have to go.

If I were still a single guy with no family, I'd probably be shooting with a Pentax 645D or Hasselblad right now out for at least to satisfy my curiosity in MF digital.
  17. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    x2, but i came from K7 to E-PL5 (and now E-P5)
  18. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
  19. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013