1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone else spread the M43 love?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stripedrex, Jan 13, 2013.

1. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    What have I done?! So I entered the world of M43 with the humble GF3 (love this camera) and a few lenses, took snaps, and shared my pictures. Before I knew it everyone's asking about the camera I used and how it did so well indoors. Before I knew it I gave away 3 to my family all with 20mm lenses. Anyone else end up with a similar situation?

GF3 went to my Mom:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ageslani/8311188981/" title="Christmas at Home by A Geslani, on Flickr"> 8311188981_1a13bd168c_c.jpg "800" height="600" alt="Christmas at Home"></a>

Bought a new G3 (great deals online) for my Mom in law:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ageslani/8311189779/" title="Christmas at Home by A Geslani, on Flickr"> 8311189779_040ea737d6_c.jpg "800" height="600" alt="Christmas at Home"></a>

Gave my brother the GF2 I was using as a second body (and for wife):
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ageslani/8312240834/" title="Christmas at Home by A Geslani, on Flickr"> 8312240834_b990a2c2d4_c.jpg "800" height="600" alt="Christmas at Home"></a>

So yep, I now own a 4th 20mm =p. My main shooter is a GH2 and for the days we want to go light and for my wife we have another GF2 in white (always wanted the white).

• Like Like x 2
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Panasonic should give you a special VIP discount! BTW, if you have any more spare m4/3 cameras to give away, please let me know! I could use a GX1 as backup! :biggrin:

My wife is already complaining that the XZ-1 that I gave her was too bulky to carry around (she used to have a Canon S90), so I don't think she'll warm to the idea of using a m4/3 camera. My sister wanted one, but I'll let her hubby takes care of it.

The only m4/3 equipment I have given away was my Oly 14-150mm to my father. He always complained about the lack of reach of the kit lens on his E-PL1, and he's not really into frequent lens swapping, so I figured my 14-150mm, which has been collecting dust would be perfect for him. It has stayed on his camera since...

• Like Like x 1
  3. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Is there such a thing as a VIP where can I sign up =p. Man the M43 bug hit me hard. After I gave away the GF3 I ended up thinking I'd have the ultimate 'value' 1 - 2 punch by getting a GH1 and GF1. I ended up REALLY missing the touch screens and didn't realize the GH1 doesn't shoot 1080 30p and the GF1 didn't shoot 1080 at all video. I also like shooting video which is why I lean Panasonic. Those are now finally sold (although the GF1 body was awesome to handle) and FINALLY settled and not stalking sales and ebay anymore lol. I think I hit maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the Panasonic line up in something like 2 months time haha. Now I can focus on enjoying taking photos videos =). Looking at these forums looks like I'm not the only one bit by the bug sometimes.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That's a LOT of lens money!

Very generous, keep it up.
    The 45mm is nice too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I gave my father our GF1 when I upgraded to the GX1 and included some m43 lenses (P14-45 and the 14) I wasn't really using. I included a full case for the GF1 and the LVF1, since then I've also bought him the P45-200 and the P20.

6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Bought both my son and daughter an EPL-3 with the kit lens each and one 40-150 between them to replace P&S does that count?

Problem is I now have to go looking for my 45mm as it keeps getting borrowed!!

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I gave my GF1 w/20mm, LVF1 and a 14-42 kit lens to my daughter, Amy, for her study abroad semester in Scotland. I gave an E-P3 to Mary Lou (my much better half) with the 14-45 kit, VF2 ana 45-200. I'm looking around for another 45-200 for Amy.

Yesterday, I gave my oldest daughter, Sarah, my now dusty Canon 5D with a 85mm ana 50mm. (Still holding onto my 1DsMKII.)

I have given some legacy glass to various ยต4/3 members, a Micro Nikkor and an O15mm to my best friend and an O15mm to my cousin. (The O15mm were Xmas presents.)

Gary

8. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    My son has my GF1 and 14-45 and 20 on permanant loan,, my rule is, he can borrow any of my leneses, but can have only 2 in his pocession at any one time, otherwise they would all gradualy creep into his bag

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    And that explains why you have the Sig 19 & the P20.

I've given my daughter a GH1 + 14-42 & 45-200 kit, but she's only 7, so I'm not sure it really counts. She does like to borrow a faster prime on occasion, and does loan me the tele if I say "please", albeit with some reluctance.

I tried to get my wife to use an E-PM1 with 14/2.5 on it, but after watching her try to zoom with that poor lens for the third or fourth time I just gave up and took it away from her.

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If anybody wants to adopt me and give me camera equipment I am available :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I bought my wife a GF3 twin lens kit with the 14mm f/2.5 and 14-42 zoom for her birthday. She wanted extra zoon so I got her the 45-200mm zoom and a Domke F-5xb to put it all in.

12. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I tried. I kept handing the girlfriend my GH2 to see how she liked it and she never took to it. Too small. I saw the look in her eyes, though, when she was playing with my 5D and knew I was in trouble - I finally compromised and got her a T4i which she likes well enough but I still catch her eyeing up it's bigger and heavier brother when we're out taking pics.

I just picked up a GX1 and she took one look and called me ... well - let's just say that she insinuated that it wasn't exactly a man's camera, was it? :confused:

13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Hehe. So far I've only spread the m4/3 love to one friend of mine.

I ended up giving a buddy my GF2 and Oly 14-42 a while back and have since also supplied him with a couple legacy lenses (Canon 50mm macro and Minolta 24mm f/2.8), spare batteries, and a Panasonic 20mm.

My GX1 is also currently on loan along with a couple lenses to another friend who wanted to try one out, but that one I can't quite afford to give away :biggrin:

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm impressed enough that you were able to find 3 Lumix 20mm's at the same time! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I gave my G1 to my daughter with the 14-42. I've steered 4 others to various Panasonic bodies. A G1, 2 G2's and a G3 this Xmas when they were 299.

16. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    You're quite the philanthropist... and your mom has beautiful hands.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ageslani/8311188981/" title="Christmas at Home by A Geslani, on Flickr"> 8311188981_1a13bd168c_c.jpg "800" height="600" alt="Christmas at Home"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  17. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I am thinking about giving an E-PL5 to my wife (so that I can have it as a back-up to the OM-D when it is needed).

18. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex

19. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I've heard of kids getting phones very young these days but a 7 year old with a gh1! Impressive! And I hear you with the wife. I have the same problem which is why I have a 2nd body GF2. Usually when my wife takes the GH2 from me I'm in some kind of manual mode, locked iso or sometimes in m and she takes a snap and blames the exposure on the camera =(. I tried the fn1 = iauto but she doesn't remember to hit it. The GF series iAuto is nice and bright! From a distance I can see if the blue glow is on or not =p.

20. MichaelBradyNet

MichaelBradyNet Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    I sort of fell into the opposite situation. I purchased a Pen Mini kit for the girlfriend when her vintage SLR gave out. After giving it to her I was so impressed I went out and picked up a G3 and a few primes for myself.