Anyone else not warmin to the em5 ergs?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by VirtualG, Sep 15, 2012.

1. VirtualG

VirtualG New to Mu-43

May 5, 2012
    It's time to be honest with myself. I'm not gelling with the the em5 body. It's not Oly's fault - I knew what I was getting myself into from the beginning, but it's been my experience that familiarity yields appreciation, and I was thinking that over time muscle memory would build in my hands and over a few months the em5 would fit like a glove. [insert Cochran reference here]

In terms of quips, top of the list is the EVF, which has a serious vignetting problem for eyeglass wearers such as myself. This EVF wants the eyeball close up, and any distance - even the little that the e-p11 eyecup introduces - is a problem. On top of that, I've been blessed with a rather larger honker, and I find myself jamming my nose into that wonderfully tilty LCD. It just isn't comfortable. If only the EM5 pushed out the EVF just a little beyond the back of the camera - it would have been so much more comfortable.

Much has been said about the hint of finger grip on the body. The back thumb grip is an essential support, which then begs the question of how one can operate the back buttons. I purchased the $300 battery grip, but to be honest, I think that the overall feel would be much better if the EM5 had deep grip built into the body. Would it make the body bulkier - let me ask - does the NEX7 seem all that unwieldy? Cuz that is a grip done right.

Shooting displays come up next. Is just me - or is that display just a huge mess of info icons on the screen? Just think of the level indicators - why couldn't it have been a sleek implementation on the main shooting screen? Having to switch between screen views to take everything has always felt awkward. I was willing to deal with that on my e-pl1, but I was hoping by the EM5 would have evolved their menu display better by now.

Add that buttons that are just too diminutive for my fingers, and well, I feel that the EM5 is a super sensor & IQ system housed in a body that was too small for its own good. With regrets, I'm going to sell my em5 at a bit of a loss and hold onto my other lenses for what will come next. I'm hoping they jam the em5 into a Pen body, which overall, I much prefer to what I have now.
  2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    The E-PL5 has a traditional Pen look with a screw on type grip. I presume they will offer different size grips like the E-P3.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    After using the VF2 with glasses and the E9 eyecup, I removed it one day on a whim and found it WAY BETTER without the eyecup. Therefore, I did not add an eyecup to my OMD, and I have no issues shooting with it with glasses. Maybe try w/o the eyecup?

It does need a grip. It's pretty dense (i.e. heavy for it's size). I'm exploring the HLD6 vs. a 1/2 case right now.

Button sizes are a personal matter. They are small but workable for me.

For framing purposes, I use "image only" in the VF. When I make adjustments, it flashes the settings, which I find really useful.

I also listed mine recently, but pulled it back when I explored some of the alternatives. It has some ergs issues, but the wheel controls and the IQ is really top notch. I think it'll come down to a personal decision.
  4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    have not had mine that long but I know their are issues I am OK with that since nothing is ever perfect

but maybe something like the Fuji coming out might be a good option then since the side finder lets your nose not be pushed up

I plan on getting a fuji also but I have 5D series stuff and other cameras and been at photography as my only income for a long time so I might have a dif outlook on things ?

I think the OMD is like a mini cooper makes going to the grocery strore fun again !

but its not something I would want for my only vehicle ! so I have others

interesting to hear about the eye cup as I was planning on ordering one ?

the buttons are a bit tight some things are not quite so smooth getting to both wheels to adjust things takes a small readjusting etc.. those are things I will never get used to !

I am finding I like the HDL6 and dont like it ?
    it kinda gets in the way but adds balance
    puts the shutter out in a better spot allowing my thumb to reach the other wheel a bit better so I think it might be one of those glad its two pieces !!!

I tend to be a camera rotator so hard to say how much I will use the vert buttons ?

I did use the vert buttons a lot on my 1D series but did not miss it with 5D series ? so its kinda a get used to thing

bottom line you are not alone I find things good and bad and find so far I am OK with the downsides for the upsides it offers me :)
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not crazy about the em5 ergos, but for different reasons. The thumb grip doesn't really bother me--I pretty much always cradle the camera in two hands. Learned that with my first 35mm camera 100 years ago. It promotes stability and sharper photos.

I find the EVF better than the one on my GH2 in most respects, but agree it's harder to see the corners with glasses on. The GH2 seems to have better eye relief. Possibly a side effect of the design that sticks out the back so far.

I find the buttons too small and hard to use, even compared to the admittedly small buttons on the GH2. And the rear control dial is simply way to close to the viewfinder for glasses wearers. It's much harder to operated than the corner mounted dial on the GH2.

The ergos of the OM-D are, very simply, compromised by the desire to make it as small as physically possible. There are some very good things about the Oly, but some serious compromises, too. If I'm not shooting in very low light with a lens that doesn't have OIS, I'll reach for the GH2 almost every time.
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Like anything it's about personal preference. For some it'll be just right and other it'll seem like everything is in the wrong spot. That said, we're also amazingly adaptable.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    The Sony SLTs have considerable distance in this area - perhaps the learned a thing or 2 over the years with their EVF experiences....
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Like the OP, I wear glasses and have a big nose. In contrast, I have no problems whatsoever with the E-M5 ergos. The minimal grip is perfectly comfortable for my medium to large hands (built in thumb rest makes all the difference), and I find that there is sufficient eye relief with my glasses on despite the lack of significant eye cup protrusion. My nose does push on the rear LCD, but that doesn't bother me.

The only difference I would have preferred is to have had a lighter weight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App
  9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I dont use glasses, but i do have a big nose and large hands and i dont mind the actual grip of the camera, i dont use the hld6. and when i shoot with my p100-300 i use a monopod so no need for the hld6 yet. like Amin said the thumb rest for me makes it perfect!.

What i do miss from the VF2 is the possiblity of shooting in 90 degrees like a TLC!. i loved that on my epl2!.
  10. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    I use glasses not sure about a big nose :)
  11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, there could be some tweaking in terms of button design, but other than that the E-M5 is the camera I had been waiting 10 years for (when I stopped using my film SLR, and no, I don't like the PENs or the Panasonics). Liked the E-M5 so much that I bought two of them!
  12. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    I'm having problems with the ergonomic side of this camera as well. For one it's the strap eyelet on the shutter button side that annoys me the most. I've already replaced it with an aftermarket strap but it's just placed wrong.

In my opinion Olympus could have made the it a more simple and smooth rectangular shape without changing the whole OM design. Having said that I absolutely find no complaints on the performance side.
  13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For once, my flat nose is actually a good thing.... :)
  14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    You mean you don't think it's big but everyone else does! :rofl:
  15. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    I wear gasses and do find it difficult to see all the corners at once with the full display. However, I've set one of the smaller displays and it works a treat, in fact I prefer having the info outside the image area anyway.
  16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I find the ergos OK with small lenses. But as soon as you tack on even the PL25, the front-heavy balance is annoying without a grip.
  17. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    You'll get that with any small camera, that's why there is a grip available. :smile:
  18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    When I first started using the E-M5 I felt the ergonomics were just borderline tolerable and I assumed that an add on grip would be a must have for me. After maybe a month I was a big fan of the camera "as is", no grip needed. Some of the buttons could be larger/easier to press, but that is a minor gripe.
  19. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There are several options for what and how things get displayed in the viewfinder and from your last paragraph above, it looks as if you're using the option that gives the same display as what you get on the LCD screen. I wear glasses and have problems seeing the edges of the frame when using the VF-2 on my E-P3. I have no problems at all using the E-M5 viewfinder option that gives you a slightly smaller image with a restricted info display on a black background below the frame image. Sounds like that may help you too.

I'm comfortable with how far the viewfinder protrudes to the rear and wouldn't like it to protrude more because I like having the screen pressing against my face since that helps me stabilise the camera. Different people, different preferences. If I were you, I would check the viewfinder display options because using a different option there may solve part of your problem.

I'm with you that I think the landscape portion of the grip should have been the way they built the camera body but there are a lot of people with smaller hands than mine who may well be comfortable with the body the way it currently is. On balance I think they may have made the right choice for a wider range of customers by going with the body the way it is and then providing an accessory grip, but I do think the pricing of the grip is steep for something that many users consider essential. The price is probably justified on one level given the grip functionality (additional shutter buttons and function buttons, additional battery chamber) when you compare the price of the Oly grip to that of some third party grips but in some ways it is a big ask. Any way I cut this one I can see things that Olympus did right and things I'm not happy with.

As far as the thumb rest begging the question of how you operate the buttons on the rear, you've got the same issue with the PEN bodies even though they don't have an explicit thumb rest. You simply can't grip the body in a grip that utilises the thumb while at the same time using the thumb to press a button. I actually give the thumb rest a big thumbs up because it ensures that I don't accidentally end up chasing a setting inadvertently with my thumb since the scroll wheel on the rear of my E-P3 is directly adjacent to where my thumb rests when I'm using my shooting grip with that camera and I kept bumping and moving the scroll wheel and changing my primary exposure setting because of that. I never get that problem with the E-M5 because they did the right thing with it and gave us a thumb rest which makes that problem a non-issue with the E-M5.

I don't find the buttons any smaller than the ones on my E-P3 and in general I find them useable. I've got fat thumbs and fingers and I wouldn't object to larger buttons but it's a small body with limited space and I can live with the buttons as they are. A bigger body with more space for bigger buttons would have some advantages but then I like having the small body for convenience since that makes it easier for me to carry a camera with me pretty much everywhere I go. I find the tradeoff of small buttons for a smaller body acceptable overall but I certainly understand and appreciate anyone's desire for larger buttons.

I've got both the E-M5 and E-P3 and I'm shooting with both. I definitely prefer the E-M5 body and ergonomics to that of my E-P3.

If you're more comfortable with a PEN style body then go with that, especially if the new ones about to be released measure up to the E-M5 in image quality, but I would look at changing your E-M5 viewfinder display settings before finally giving up on the E-M5. With the setting I use I can easily see the whole of the frame despite wearing spectacles, and I get the basic info I need displayed below the frame image rather than on it with the exception of things like the histogram, highlights/shadow clipping display, and level display which do show over the image. That part of your concerns is definitely fixable in my opinion, even if the rest isn't.
  20. offtheback

offtheback New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2012
    Goldenlight-Thanks for the tip on using viewfinder with glasses.I looked at the smaller views and thought I'd like the largest scene view but your logic is unassailable.