Anyone else make there own straps?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LVL8hacker, Mar 31, 2012.

1. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Hello All,
    Just wanted to see if anyone else here make their own straps? I got tired of looking around for just the right strap and I never have luck ordering them online. They always show up too long, short,not stiff enough and so on.

The other day I got this bug up my butt and said that if I cant find the strap I want, I'll just make one. You have seen the design before....but this was made with local store bought supplies.

Can anyone guess what this was before it became my new strap? :)

IMG-0611.

IMG-0612.

IMG-0613.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I could only do this when I moved to m43, my DSLR gear was too heavy. But I use 3/8" webbing and some tri glide buckles.

But this looks a lot nicer, heh. how do you bind that?

3. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    Under the binding I used leather fasteners .....kind of like rivets but they screw together. The binding is a black leather lace/string....its all held on there using hidden knots. What I did was run the leather binding through the strap with about 4 inches hanging out of the end(were the ring is). The I just wrapped it from the other side, when I got to the end I tied a good knot and tucked it in.

Any guess what the strap was before I got to it? :)

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, I only can guess some other longer strap from a purse or maybe a skinny fashion belt. Or maybe something to do with horses.

5. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    Close...It's a dog leash :) Here I am staring at it in the store and it just hit me....I can use that as a strap..and when I cut the hand/wrist part off, I can use that as a matching wrist strap..lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My straps are quick-release with a hand-strap portion, a pouch for viewfinder or audio mics, and another quick release buckle for a shoulder strap. I get a more lightweight strap material from training leashes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    simple, practical & very cheap... :biggrin:
    (shoelace with cobra weave)
    6887890160_b3a2e19b9d_o.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Shoelace ?

9. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I use a hand strap with my GX1, which I made out of 550 paracord.

It's rated to hold 550 lbs so should be enough for the GX1 and 45mm lens ;)

Incidentally, it's great for many things, so I buy about 50' at a time (for like $5). I use it for shoelaces, everything. Cut it to the length you desire, and then stick the end over a flame for a few seconds to melt it.

10. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    good idea on the training leashes Ned...I have all of Minnie's so may be I can make a camera strap out of one ;)

11. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    yup...
    was initially thinking of paracord but not available in small qty. so, i innovated. :biggrin:

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sure! All of them. Slings, conventional neck straps, wrist straps. Some in nylon and a couple in leather.

IMHO it's not a way to save much money because you have to stock materials and fittings, but it is a way for me to enjoyably get exactly what I want.

Here are some sources I have used:

Nylon Webbing
    Webbing for Purses, Bags, Backpacks, Leashes and More!
    1" Tubular Nylon Webbing - Black
    Tubular Nylon Webbing at Strapworks.com

The tubular webbing has a nicer hand (softness) than any flat webbing I have seen but it is ridiculous overkill from a strength standpoint.

Adjustment Buckle
    Hardware for Sewing
    Buckle Hardware
    Plastic Slides

Small Split Rings

Cabela's: Stainless Steel Split Rings - Per 144
    or from you local sporting goods store.

Leather & Fittings
    Leathercraft and Leather Craft Supplies - Tandy Leather Factory

Re materials, here is another thought: I was in a farm store recently and looked at leather horse reins. For some designs they would probably work well for straps. IIRC they were about $30 but would make a lot of straps.

13. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Part of a cow?

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, I bet you're right Colin! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    WOW! So much talent on this forum. We even have a leash trainer! :eek: Do you use food rewards or the clicker method, Ned?

16. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    Now its time to see the pictures of all these nice home made straps!!

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    P1000825.

• 3/4" wide sling/glide strap, undyed vegetable tanned leather with neatsfoot oil to soften, black edge dye. Solid brass harness buckle length adjuster.
    • 1" wide conventional strap, flat nylon webbing with cam buckle length adjuster
    • 1/2" wide wrist strap, solvent-dyed vegetable tanned leather with neatsfoot oil to soften
    • 1" wide wrist strap, tubular nylon webbing, plastic slide.
    All straps use pushbutton quick-release rifle sling swivels for camera attachment. They are a tad heavy but I can change a strap to suit my immediate needs in a few seconds.

Camera fittings are along the lines of these:

IMG_20111227_125133. P1020466_1.

The pigtail style camera connectors allow the strap hardware to hang below my hands as I hold the camera.

None of this is hard to do, guys. A household sewing machine will handle the webbing. An inexpensive rivet set and punch set came from Tandy Leather. You need a sharp knife (box knife, for example) to cut the leather and a heated (electric, stove, propane torch) knife to cut the webbing. That's about it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Ned uses reason and logic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    So I took some Ideas from you guys Jim_khoo, Oldracer, and made another wrist strap today. I used black 550 paracord and wrapped a bradded section in a cobra weave.

I think it turned out ok...what do you think?

IMG-0614.

IMG-0615.

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Looks great. Reminds me of an old neighbor I had. He was a merchant marine Captain in WWII ... he was into knots. Knotted up all the handrails at the Maritime Museum in San Pedro (Port of Los Angeles). He loved his knots, he even gave my daughter a ship in a bottle for her second birthday.

G

• Like Like x 1