Anyone Else Like to see a...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by grcolts, Apr 17, 2017.

1. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    Anyone else like to see a Panasonic GM6 with weather resistance?
    I think a small camera like that with weather resistance would be an ideal camera for hiking/backpacking, etc.
    It is probably pipe dreams but I would buy one for sure.
    GR

• Like Like x 1
  2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    It wouldn't be much use without a WR lens. And since all the available ones are rather large, one of the existing WR bodies probably works as well. Having said that, I think that the existing small lenses could probably be made WR without much added cost. I am doubtful that this will happen with Olympus since they are clearly reserving WR as a premium/PRO feature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    How about a GM5 sized WR fixed lens 35mm f/2 with conversion attachments for 28mm and 50mm?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A 1" compact with a more rugged and sealed lens would be pretty fantastic.

As far as mirrorless, Fuji has a nice set of small WR lenses, but no small sealed cameras to mount them to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    You looked at these recently, right. So I take it that there are no 1" WR compacts out there?

6. tkbslc

Correct. They are all essentially slippery bar of soap style cameras with fragile lenses that attract dust. :)

You have to get something like a RX10 or FZ camera if you want 1" with sealing. And then you are pretty much the size of an E-M5 setup.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The Sony RX10 I/II/III, the Canon G3 X, and the Nikon 1 AW1 are it. The AW1 with the AW 10mm f/2.8 lens is probably the only thing you could call compact.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Neither the FZ1000 or FZ2500 are sealed are they?

9. Some evil GAS enabler on SC's pointed this out to me the other day.... The camera is still waterproof without the housing!

DC2000 Camera | Sealife Cameras

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  10. tkbslc

I really thought they were, but I just looked up the specs and you are correct. I guess only the Sony RX10 models are.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Wow! How have I never seen this before.

Very interesting... $700 for a fixed lens 28/1.8 equivalent isn't fantastic, but it's not terrible...

The housing is pretty heavy, though. 691g with the camera.

12. tkbslc

Never heard of that, thanks for the link. Looks like it's waterproof down to 18m and the housing boosts it to 60m. That's really deep!

31mm equivalent f1.8 lens and 1" sensor. Looks good outside the housing.

dc2000-inner-fullsize-mwrc.

13. Yeah but compare that to the top of the range Lumix, Olympus and GoPro equivalents with tiny sensors and the price isn't too bad...

Also unless you're going to go scuba diving you wouldn't bother with the housing... Even then most of the diving I used to do was usually only 5-10 meters...

14. tkbslc

18m limit with just the camera is pretty deep for most casual scuba divers. I'm pretty sure that number was specifically chosen as it's the exact threshold for what is considered "deep diving". I'd still probably use the housing for actual scuba, though, if it were me. Seems a little easier to hang on to as well.

But for more common water activities like kayaking, boating, swimming, snorkeling, etc, it would be fantastic and you'd never need the housing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yep, that makes a lot more sense to me than a small sealed M4/3 body. You would need WR versions of the 12-32 and 35-100 to make the m4/3 concept work.

For many years my film P&S was a WR Olympus, forget the model now. VERY useful travel camera, and a modern equivalent (say, a WR ZS100) would be a great thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yep, but I'm just greedy... I'd really like them to make WR versions of the P14 and P20, and Olympus to make a WR version of their 17mm pancake...

17. Derek

Derek Mu-43 Rookie Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been waiting to hear reviews about this one. I'd definitely be happy with a small, WR Panasonic and, oh, say a WR 20/1.7 that could handle AFC, too, though. I mean, if I had to be....

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Very cool
    VERY COOL! Looks a lot like the spiritual heir to the Nikonos. Auto focus and auto exposure should make it even simpler and more adaptable than that wonderful machine.

• Like Like x 1