Anyone else interested in a Sony alpha to m4/3 speed booster?

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
I'm hoping to convince Metabones to produce one of these. It's gotta be less obscure than some of the stuff they've made so far. Would anyone else here be interested in buying one?

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
Is there much glass available for the Sony Alpha mount? I would have thought with the success of the A7 series, the Alpha mount is kinda dead?

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Is there much glass available for the Sony Alpha mount? I would have thought with the success of the A7 series, the Alpha mount is kinda dead?
It's a fairly robust system unless you're seriously into wildlife/birding, as the long tele options are lacking. Most everything else is there though - I consider the lens system overall to be stronger than m4/3, though you have to fall back to older Minolta lenses or third party in some cases. That's okay because the Minolta is usually fabulous and there's lots of good 3rd party stuff too.

BaldEgo

Mu-43 Rookie
It's a fairly robust system unless you're seriously into wildlife/birding, as the long tele options are lacking. Most everything else is there though - I consider the lens system overall to be stronger than m4/3, though you have to fall back to older Minolta lenses or third party in some cases. That's okay because the Minolta is usually fabulous and there's lots of good 3rd party stuff too.

I would gladly purchase a Alpha to m4/3 speedbooster. and Promit's point about using older Minolta lenses is one of my primary reasons. When I moved to m43 last year, I sold off all of my Sony Alpha and Nex cameras and lenses but I did hold onto a couple of older but precious Minolta lenses that I just couldn't stand to give up.

As well ,it might make it easier for me to rationalize the eventual purchase of an A7 to complement my m43 set-up because I could use these lenses as well on the A7 with a Alpha > Next adapter.

Jüri

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jüri
Why not just get a M43 booster for Canon EOS lenses and the adapt almost everything through Canon EOS adapters. Makes a lot more sense than buying (and producing) separate booster for every available lens.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Why not just get a M43 booster for Canon EOS lenses and the adapt almost everything through Canon EOS adapters. Makes a lot more sense than buying (and producing) separate booster for every available lens.
Because the register difference between Alpha and EF is 0.6 mm. You can't adapt them without a glass element that will ruin it.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Get a CY SB and then a m42->cy adapter? I've been looking at m42 glass, but currently in a lens hunting pause untill I get rid of my Nikon SB and glass.

CY is 45.50mm and M42 is 45.46mm I'm not sure how significant that impact is in real world use...

The EOS SB is quite a bit more money. I no longer have any EOS lenses so it wouldn't be a good spend.

If anything the Canon FD mount SB would be good (I have a couple FD lenses too) since its a 42mm... but my preference is not to stack adapters.. especially if I'm looking already at $400USD for the SB. Since the SB also has an optic, I would surmise that its important to get the film flange distance accurately correct for best performance.

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm a bit on the fence about it. I just don't know if I could realistically use Manual focus enough to justify it. It would at least need to have aperture information, and ability to provide power to OIS. In some regards, I'd love to see a regular adapter with those features even more than a speedbooster.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
The Canon Speedbooster does all of that. Comes in a glass free straight adapter version as well.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Canon Speedbooster does all of that. Comes in a glass free straight adapter version as well.

Yes, that's why I hope they could do the same for alpha glass, but I'm sure the market is much smaller. I do own a lot of good Minolta glass so fingers crossed.

Lodos

Mu-43 Regular
I'm hoping for a booster for K and M42....

for m42 your solution is to use the speedbooster for canon fd, and also use fd to m42 adapter.. I have m42 lenses that I use as m42 mount lens -> m42-fd adapter -> fd-nex adapter - sony nex camera. (I am not using the speedbooster but if it works with the fd-nex adapter it should work with fd-nex speedbooster adapter as well I assume).

search for m42 fd adapter in google ebay etc. The one I bought from an ebay seller worked fine for me including infinity focus, if my memory is not tricking me..
as a side note, m42-fd adapter was useful for me as I could use my fd mount macro and 2x converter with my m42 mount lenses..

Latest threads

Top Bottom