Anyone else hoping for another E-M5 firmware update?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JJJPhoto, Oct 18, 2014.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I love the E-M5 and I'm glad to see that Olympus has refined the features and added new features to camera over time via firmware updates.

That said, I really wish Olympus would add three additional features to the E-M5 via firmware:

1) Focus peaking for manual focus confirmation (in stills and video)
    2) Time lapse shooting control with the same interface seen on newer OM-D and PEN cameras
    3) Tethered shooting option similar to what the E-M1 received via firmware update

I know that some people will say, "If you want those features then buy the E-M1." But the truth is I'm mostly happy with the two E-M5 bodies I have and I don't want to buy another camera right now just for those three features I mentioned.

Furthermore, there is a financial benefit to Olympus. Fujifilm discovered that by continuing to update the firmware of older cameras to improve the features and performance they can keep customers using their X system, and it appears to be working based on the number of X camera owners in various forums who keep buying more lenses and accessories for their older X cameras. Also, I've lost count of the number of Fujifilm X shooters who use "firmware updates" as a reason for new photographers to buy into the X system.

The OM-D E-M5 was the first "serious" m4/3 camera from Olympus and, even though it's probably reaching the end of its life cycle in terms of being offered for sale as a "new" product, there are sill MANY photographers out there using the E-M5. At this point, if E-M5 owners haven't purchased the E-M1 to get those three features I've mentioned then they aren't going to. So the Olympus isn't going to hurt sales at this point ... but they can only improve customer loyalty by continuing to improve the camera with firmware updates.

When the next top-end OM-D camera arrives with higher resolution, even greater dynamic range, and a bunch of new features we didn't even know we wanted then E-M5 owners will STILL be likely to upgrade (I know I will) ... possibly even more so if we've been able to enjoy new features in the E-M5 thanks to updated firmware.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    I would like the extra features that the E-p5 has on the E-m5. Like you said, focus peaking and specially touch magnification in video mode! The E-p5 has those features why not include them with a firmware update on the E-m5? they share the same processor.
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    While nothing is impossible, I suspect that firmware updates for the E-M5 may be finished with the exception of adding recognition for new lenses. I hope I'm wrong but Olymous isn't as generous with firmware updates for old cameras as, say, Fuji is.
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    It would be great to see the improvements you mention (as well as a better implementation of the MySets feature), but I don't think it's going to happen.
  5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Here's one that I'd really like to see, although I haven't personally experienced any real need for it: the anti-shock shutter setting that has been implemented in several other m4/3 Olympus cameras. Frankly, I'd like to see it only because it would take an issue that potentially affects resale value off the table.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I'd be thrilled if the E-M5 got an update that included the new 0 second anti-shock. I don't need the other features mentioned earlier in this thread, yet I realize others would like them. I also own the E-M10, and the 0 second anti-shock is a big improvement ... and something all current Oly cameras should have IMNSHO.
  7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    That is also something I wish they would bring to the E-M5 as I still think there are times it affects the output but not as much as it might on the E-M1. I switch the 75-300 from either body & although the E-M1 is faster in response the E-M5 is still very capable but I feel less confident with it not having that '0' sec Antishock feature.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ross the fiddler

May 20, 2012
    The E-P5 is supposed to be a higher spec'd model than the E-M5 as it uses a different shutter unit that goes up to 1/8000 second. I haven't checked the other specs like buffer size & write speed, but that would also influence what would be an effective addition in the E-M5. I think an E-M5 replacement may be coming soon & so we may see what might come with that, but I doubt anything more will come to the E-M5 except maybe lens data updates.
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Highly doubtful that we'll receive any firmware updates, except for lens updates as others have mentioned. To be completely honest, I was surprised that we even got the last one.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mige0

mige0 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Lets wait and see.

In his shootout, Wong did show what could be done by mere firmware tweaking (IMO) - beside the complete absence of AA Filter there is not much difference in hardware - M5 and M1 are both 16MP in the end.

Those differences in picture quality I would like to see implemented in the stylish, non bulky M5 body.
    I'd even would pay some serieous money IF they would come out with a M5 MKII, possibly adding some MP to make TC converters superfluous

I would also lay down some (small) money IF they just would upgrade the firmware to what the M10 is offering - basically all the bells an whistles of the M1 without its hardware based features like WiFi, Phase AF ... , combined with its less odd color rendering.
  11. Ross the fiddler

May 20, 2012
    They marketed the 'Elite' version so they needed to have something besides the cosmetic additions to go with it.