Anyone else find multi/wide AF completely worthless?

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Name varies depending on the camera, but basically I mean the mode where the camera enables ALL of its focus points across the frame to select a subject to focus on. Why would you want that? I don't want to play focus roulette with where my camera is going to decide something looks like it's worth focusing on. I use center spot, or zone focusing groups a lot. Zone is a particular favorite because I have flexibility about where to place my frame around the focus point, while still pointing the camera to my intended subject. But I see no value in arbitrary focusing across the entire frame. Especially because tiny adjustments in framing can lead the camera to pick totally different focus points.

I just don't see the value in multi/wide AF setting, no matter what camera you're using.

Mu-43 Legend
It works great if you want the most contrasty object inside the center 2/3 of your shot to be in focus!!

Seriously, though, I think it's just a hold over from DSLRs, where your closest subject (presumed to be your target subject) might be off center. But then, in consumer DSLRs, most of those focus points were not cross type (until recently). So, while the concept was good, the execution was usually flawed.

Moving the focus point around with my GX7 is SOOO much easier and far more assured.

So, in short, I think there is a valid idea behind it, but unless you are shooting something like a Canon 1Dx (or maybe the EM1 or XT1??), you are not likely to enjoy the experience!

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Short answer: Birds in flight. Try shooting a rapidly but erratically moving subject that you can't keep centered in the frame without this capability. You can't. The reason for this feature is that, when it's implemented properly, the camera can identify the subject and lock onto it FAR faster than you can.

BTW, this feature is the ONLY reason I still keep a Nikon 1 V2 for shooting rapidly moving subject matter that my E-M1 has a tough time keeping up with.

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
for me the only use is when shooting PEOPLE... solo or group shots composition is which they usually stand out for failsafe full-matrix-AF.

of course, i am a single-point (center) focus-recompose guy 98% of the time...

so the only camera goes to full-AF is when im handling it off to someone else

Latest threads

Top Bottom