1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone else experiencing occasional locking-up on your E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yhbae, Oct 20, 2013.

1. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    This has happened in the past but not frequently enough to bother me but finally decided to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

Once in a while (for me, probably once every one hundred shots or so), the camera decides to lock up. I'm not quite sure when it happens but when I take the camera out of the bag during some hiking trip, it isn't turned off and it is displaying a lot of info on the screen along with some ISO numbers at the bottom of the screen. On/Off switch does not respond. I need to remove the battery then put it back in. Then everything is good.

I believe I am on the latest firmware so I doubt that is the issue. I think this happens when I try to turn the camera off but I'm not 100% sure because I don't always check the LCD after turning off the camera.

Anyone?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What lens(es)? Is it with the Panasonic 25/1.4 by any chance? Also, is this with OEM or third party batteries?

3. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I hate to say it, but in that case it sounds to me like a trip to Olympus service may be in order. I've seen some oddities with 3rd party batteries, and heard a couple reports of issues with the Panasonic 25/1.4 on the E-M5, but beyond that, things should pretty much just work.

5. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    I'm pretty sure its more than Panny 25mm. I use Oly 9-18 a lot and it happens there too. BUT, I do use eBay batteries most of the time. Could that be the culprit? Oh yes, I also use the Sandisk 32GB 45MB/s card when that happened. I recently changed to the 95MB/s variety (also Sandisk) but didn't use the camera enough to observe that freeze.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've had my E-M5 for over 6 months now and have had I think 2 lockups. That's 2 more than I had with my old Canon 40d and 5dii, but I can live with it. If it's happening every 100 shots, then something is definitely amiss.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've had two or three lockups in the past year. Camera just stops doing anything, I figure it's just some obscure firmware bug.

8. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    My first copy did that. Returned it and got a another. No lockup for about nine months now.

9. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    I'm thinking perhaps the culprit is the eBay battery. I haven't used the OEM one for a long time now. I'll try to use only the OEM one and see if it happens again. I'm repeating this again but my "lockup" happens rather consistently - only when I thought the camera should be off, it is on with the exact same display on the screen and on/off doesn't respond. It never locks up between shots.