Anyone else experience this ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Livnius, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Hi all.

Slowly building my mu43 armory and part of this is some old far I have got the Pentax-a smc 50 & the Helios 44-2 for my GF1.

But I've noticed that the while the Helios gives a bright and true image on the LCD whilst composing/focusing making it really clear and obvious when correct focus has been achieved....the Pentax on the other hand isn't interpreted so well on the LCD. The image whilst composing is darker and grainy and ultimate focus not so obvious...YET final recorded image is perfect.

Is this typical ? Is it common that different legacy glass will interact in varying ways with the LCD?

Again, I repeat....the final recorded image is fine, it's just during composition.

I have to admit, because of this....the Helios is proving to be more fun to use !
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I've never experienced that some lenses offer a darker image, unless looking at a dimly-lit scene. My GH2 and G1 image becomes darker when stopping down the lens in dim lighting; pointing out the obvious, maybe the Pentax lens is stopped down?
  3. Kyamberu

Kyamberu New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2010
    Oregon City Oregon
    Could it be that you've got the Pentax stopped down a bit too much? Adapted lenses are fully manual as far as f-stops go.
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I was sure to have them both at the f value. O tested it over several stops and same effect.

During good light there is no discernible difference, it is only during lower light conditions that the difference becomes apparent. But having said that...even during broad daylight....the Helios seems to find that sweet focus spot more positively. I have read in several posts on forums where ppl refer to certain old lenses 'snapping' into focus more easily....this may be a case in point.
  5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Preset aperture Helios vs auto Pentax? The auto lens will stop down as you move the aperture ring while the Helios won't stop down until you shift the preset lever. The number of shots I missed forgetting this back in the Zenit days.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Hi Mark.

Yeah the Helios takes a bit to get used to but i was sure to correctly adjust the aperture.

Quirks and all...i've enjoyed it plenty thus far, a really fun lens to use and I am really fond of the famous swirly bokeh....the more I use it and experiment the better my results will be.

As far as the differences I am seeing on the LCD, I guess these little and other little nuances will pop up every now and then as I experiment further with different lenses.

Coming soon is my Minolta MD-rokkor 50-1.4 which I'm really excited about as I will be able to do a direct 'like for like' comparison between it and my SMC 50/1.4. It's one thing to read about comparisons....I like to find out for myself....arghhh...nobody told me m43 was going to be so fun and co$tly ;)
  7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade

What aperture is the Pentax. If it's 1.4 lens, then the lens may have oxidized and turned yellow. This is due to thorium (mildly radioactive) element which over time turns yellow. This can be easily reversed as it just requires some UV treatment. simply wrap the lens with foil with front element exposed and set it out in the sun. It could take 3 15 days.

Best way to check is to look through the lens at a white background. Is it yellowish?

Once you treat the lens, it'll turn crystal clear.