anyone dumped their DSLR gear in favor of OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Jul 29, 2012.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    First, apologies if this has been discussed before. I searched and didn't find anything but if I missed it, please kindly point me to the thread and I'll review there.

I have been a Canon DSLR shooter for 8 years. I started with the 10D then bought a 40D about 3 years ago. I've had my E-PL1, 14-42 kit, and 20/1.7 for about two years or so and I absolutely love it. I use it probably 85% of the time and my Canon gear the other 15%.

I've been waiting for a :43: camera to come out that will finally be good enough that I can put all of my Canon gear on Ebay (10D, 40D, six lenses, two battery grips, two flashes, etc.) and be 100% MFT and I think the OM-D just might be it. If I went this route, I'd likely get the 12-50 kit lens and one of the 45-200 range zooms. I would also have my 20/1.7 and I think those three lenses would cover pretty much anything I needed to shoot. I have a Sunpak 383 flash that I can use on those rare occasions when I would want to use an external flash (I rarely use one on my EPL1.)

So has anyone made a similar move and if so, what did you miss about your DSLR? I honestly can't think of one thing that I would be giving up if I do this. The focus speed of the OM-D is as fast as my 40D, the image quality is at least as good if not better, I rarely use studio lighting and if I need to, I have a Microsync wireless trigger that works with any camera that has a hotshoe, the high ISO performance of the OM-D is better than my 40D, etc.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't do this. I know I'm missing something...
  2. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I'm very seriously considering it. But I'd really need Panasonic to release the 35-200mm f2.8. I just need something to replace my 70-200mm f2.8 L IS. I've got the Olympus 40-150mm and whilst it's not bad it is fairly soft at the long end.

I shoot a lot of indoor events so a long, fast lens is a priority for me. I know there's the 75mm f1.8, but I need the flexibility of a zoom.

I've a load of Canon gear, most of it mint, all of it I've worked hard for over the years and (for some reason) really attached to it. Sigh.
  3. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I dumped my Nikon D5000 for the OM-D. The Nikon was my first DSLR; I bought it two years ago. Earlier this year, I felt ready for an upgrade, and was seriously considering a D700 or a D800. I heard about the OM-D, so I bought it in May 2012. One month later, I sold my Nikon and all of its lenses.

I don't miss the Nikon. I certainly don't miss the size and weight of it. I have no regrets. I'll probably never go back to DSLR.
  4. abat

abat Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I shot a lot of junior rugby union matches and for that I still need my Canon 7D and l-series telephoto zooms. I've tried several times to shoot matches with my E-M5 but just cannot replicate what I need. Although the E-M5 focusses fast enough, I find keeping focus on rapidly changing targets too hit and miss. The 7D just nails focus consistently. If anyone has some tips and settings I can try with the E-M5 I'm happy to experiment.

On the other hand, I really love shooting landscape, nature, cityscape and people etc with the E-M5. It's a joy to use in those situations and i much prefer the size and the quality of the photos I get compared to my 7D.

So for me, I'll be using two systems for a while to come. Both have their strengths.
  5. lggomez

lggomez Mu-43 Regular

I do photojournalism, and I've been using Nikon all my life -D700 the later-, but couple years ago I started using Micro 4/3 equipment and lenses. Since that moment my Nikon stay at home more often, until my newest acquisition the OM-D, now I don't even think about my D700. Now all my work it's done with 4/3 and put up for sale all my Nikon wares.
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I am in England shooting pictures of crew (rowing) races. There are several reasons why I'm delighted to be packing an OM-D and a GX1, but honestly they are just not the same class of tool as my D700/D300 kit. Viewfinder and CAF tracking, for starters. I am not putting down the m43 gear...I would not have been able to pack my usual gear hear and if I had I probably wouldn't have been admitted to the venues, so I am completely happy with what I'm using for these events...but it's not the same.
  7. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I used Nikon DSLRs/lenses since they came out but sold my most recent one - D7000 -after acquiring my EP3. IMO, and as I have posted elsewhere here, the Nikon user interface is superior but the quality of the images is sufficient and the SIZE of the 43/lenses trumps the DSLR in every way that I NORMALLY need. I have not seen any need to have multiple cameras though if your primary use is sports/action, the 4/3 (or at least the EP3) will not remotely keep up with the DSLRs.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The only real attachment I still have to DSLRs is sentimental value. My first taste of Micro 4/3 came just after my last big overseas trip so none of my Micro 4/3 gear is anywhere near as travelled as my Canons, and particularly not my E-M5. None of my Micro 4/3 cameras have been on any great adventures, unlike my old 350D or 50D. I do more photography around home than ever before but the results are really as interesting, although it does become of more value as time passes.

As heavy as it is there is still something to be said for a big, chunky DSLR body like the 50D. Compared to something like the E-M5 it feels the wrong size and weight but it still also feels right...ergonomics, I guess. In terms of capability the only things that I miss is the 1/8000 minimum shutter speed and native ISO 100.
  9. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    Like Nic I miss Iso 100, and faster shutter speeds. I don't miss the weight or leaving it at home due to the size. It's harder to hold with a slightly bigger lens, but I'm getting used to it. Imiss the faster and more accurate AF, but working with it it's getting easier.
  10. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Went form D7000 to E-M5. No regrets. Only minus's so far are:
    - the occasional problem with sun washing out the EVF/LCD when using legacy glass (ie MF so you really have to be able to seen the screens clearly)
    - a little bit longer viewfinder blackout
    - I also found Nikon's remote flash system a little more accurate
    - direct access to change metering fast (matrix-center-spot)

What I don't miss is having to send my D7000 out twice as well as three lenses out to have the AF calibrated, and the focus shifts under different lighting. PDAF is great when it works but I always seemed to have bad luck, especially with 3rd party lenses.

My final decision really came down to size. I travel for work allot so its nice to be able to strip the gip off the E-M5 and take a couple tiny primes with me, I left the D7000 at home way to much.

IQ wise, full size pixel peeping I would say the D7000 was a little cleaner but nothing that would show up on any prints.
  11. stealthfixr

stealthfixr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Made the regrets

I recently sold my Canon DSLR and mostly L series lenses for the OM-D with the 12-50 kit lens, the PL 25/1.4 and the Pany 45-200 lenses. I loved my Canon, but hated the size and weight. So far, the OM-D is perfect--just what I was looking for. It's quick, has great ergonomics for me, and the IQ is outstanding. I am planning on the Rokinon 7.5/f3.5, Oly 12/f2 and the Oly 45/f1.8 to round out the collection...maybe the Pany 12-35/2.8 if that darned price comes down some.

Fact is that most of us aren't pros, and don't need most of the pro features. That said, the OM-D seems fully capable of pro-level image quality for a wide variety of purposes, especially with the right glass. If you include the Oly 4/3rd lens line-up (big lenses, but also FAST), the options are fairly wide open--not too far behind Canon/Nikon--and leagues ahead of Sony's NEX. So, seems to me the camera is already ahead of most of us using it!

All pictures were taken in the last week, and all were possible because the OM-D is easy to have with me. I am sure my Canon could have taken images of this kind, but I would never have taken it with me if I wasn't planning on shooting something--too heavy, too big. All of these were grab shots, possible because opportunity and capability matched up when I didn't expect to be shooting, but the OM-D was within arms reach. My three lenses, camera, extra batteries, lens pen, flash and a couple filters all fit in my tiny Domke F-5XB, easily less than half the size and weight of my Canon setup. I now have an outstanding camera with amazing IQ that is easy to take with me almost anywhere...what more could I ask for?

I have no regrets leaving the large DSLR world behind--love the OM-D. I suspect most of you reading this would too.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Wow great information so far. The only situations so far that people have brought up are fast sports action. I don't shoot much sports at all -- my daughters cheerleading and my son's tae kwon do. But neither is fast action that requires fast focus tracking. So far I'm still leaning toward dumping my Canon gear although I do understand the emotional attachment to gear. I have an 80-200/2.8L that is a phenomenal lens and it would be really difficult to part with that one.
  13. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was shooting with a Nikon D3s, a 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 lenses and two SB 900 flash with a stroboframe grip. All of that was breaking my back and I was sweating like crazy after finishing a shoot. I traded in all of that equipment for an OMD system and I have no regrets. I did a shoot Friday and the images came out just as great as my Nikon system, but my back was not sore and I did not sweat like crazy doing it. I am very happy with the size of my EM-5 and I really have no regrets for purchasing it.
  14. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    I dumped on Nikon TWICE. Love the OM-D, and even the E-P3 was fast enough for my sports needs (local football league). I sold off my E-P3 to get the HLD-6, and while I love the grip added to my OM-D, I miss having an E-P3. My back up is an E-PL2, still my favorite PEN all things considered.
  15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In two weeks I'm going out to do some birds of prey photography...I'll post how that goes. Although I'll also take my E-3/12-60 that day too just in case the EM5 can't keep up.
  16. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm very interested to find out how that goes. Thanks!
  17. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Sold my Nikon D90 and associated lens for the EM5. Only reason was the size and weight of the D90 setup. I almost bought a Tokina 11-16 wide lens for the D90 but the weight was 1.23 lbs. Then I started looking at lighter options and went with the Em5. Currently I have the 12-50mm, 9-18mm and panny 100-300. With all three lens the setup is lighter and smaller than the D90 with the Tamron 18-270mm

Things i miss from the D90: optical viewfinder, tracking focus (EM5 is terrible), battery status, shooting below 200 ISO. I am sure there will be others as I learn the Em5 more.
  18. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Sold all my Nikon gear including D2X. 300s and F100. Don't miss any of it.

Love that I can get the OM-D, three lenses with hoods, grip, battery chargers and all the other odds and ends in a Lowepro Event Messenger 150 bag. Then carry the lot around for hours if I want without feeling my shoulder is breaking.
  19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    As most in this thread, I sold my crop-sensor DSLR gear (Canon) to move to the OM-D. Prior to that I used an E-PL2 as a second, carry-along camera. I now use an E-PM1 for that purpose.

For me the OM-D is in every way an equal to the most expensive crop-sensor DSLRs (such as the 7D or the D7000) while exceeding them in several crucial (for me) aspects. Size and weight was of course a serious consideration, but, more than that, I find the OM-D offering a much more pleasurable photographic experience. I feel like I'm not thinking aboutthe gear but about the picture, and it's a joy to use in every respect.
  20. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    On a recent cross country tour, I found I shot over 3000 images with the OM-D and less than 50 with my old trusty dusty Canon 550D.... Needless to say, I've given that camera to my fiancee and sold some of my dslr lenses to fund my m4/3 gear. Won't be shooting a DSLR again soon, if ever. ;-)... I don't dislike them, I just don't require the unnecessary weight and girth in my daily shooting.