Anyone dreaming of a small weather sealed prime lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pixelvandal, Oct 6, 2016.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    A la Fuji 35mm f2 etc
    nothing with a ridiculously fast aperture, not a pro lens, and something more walkabout that the 60mm macro
    basically, im dreaming of a 17mm or 25mm f1.8, similar size to the existing ones, but weather sealed, to match the size of the smaller m43 bodies. has there ever been any talk about this from oly? seems like the perfect travel setup for me would be a sealed em5 and 25mm for me. small, light, good optics?

maybe ill keep dreaming....

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Frequently day-dreamed about. Never any credible rumors of it being in the works as far as I've seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Yes, big time yes.
    What is the point of all these nice WR new bodies without a nice WR compact prime. Seems like Fuji really gets it with all their new F2 WR lenses.

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Yes, me too. I have never had a weather sealed m43 camera partly because the available weather sealed lenses don't have a strong appeal for me. That might change if there was a chance of a small light camera/lens combination.

5. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    Maybe these new Fuji primes will make olympus think about it. Something affordable for the masses haha

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not really. I'd prefer a faster aperture than you're talking about because a lot of the situations in which weather sealing is handy (rain, dust or sand storm) also make things darker so that can put a slower weather sealed lens at a disadvantage when the weather sealing is handy.

I've got the 7-14, 12-40, and 40-150 PRO zooms and the 8mm f/1.8 PRO, all of which are weather sealed. If I'm going to go for a weather sealed prime in the range covered by any of those zooms, I want more than a stop gain in speed to make the prime a viable choice instead of one of the zooms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I dream about small primes in general - however to be able to benefit from the weather sealing you would need to pair it with one of the "bigger" M43 cameras, not sure that any of the smaller M43 cameras have weather sealing?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hal Knowles

Hal Knowles Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2015
    Florida
    Hal Knowles
    Weather sealed Panasonic 20mm F1.7 Mark III please!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    yes please! With faster focus. It would never leave my camera haha

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Yes! +10. Would buy.

ideal weather sealed lenses: 14mm f2-f2.8, 17mm f2-f2.8, ... preferably pancakes.

I guess the 25mm and 7-14mm PROs cover the wide end and there doesn't seem to be anything like a 25mm pancake for m43.

11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I was talking with a friend who shoots Fuji and he (and a lot of others according to him) hates the way Fuji went about it and is jealous about our 25mm that's coming.

Below is one of the reason he is disappointed in the Fuji weather sealed primes.

The other is he ended up buying several primes in duplicate focal lengths because he wants/needs weather sealing and wants/needs fast aperture for DoF control and shooting in dark conditions.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Yes, was just thinking about that this morning as I was reading an article about the new Fuji 23mm WR. I had an X-T1 and sold it to go back to an E-M5. I used to have the 4/3 14-54 MK II and 50-200 ED, as well as an E-M1. The IQ from the 4/3 lenses was excellent, but I really didn't get along with the size. I used to use those combinations in snow, freezing rain, and the E-M1 with the 14-54 II was accidentally dunked in a creek, and didn't falter a bit. If a WR MFT lens about the size of the 17mm 1.8 could be built, I'd be interested. A 14mm f/2 WR would be ideal . . . if it was slightly less expensive than the 12mm f/2.

13. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I guess more choice is always good, especially as these would probably not be quite as expensive as the new Oly prime. That said, I would probably not be interested. If you need weather sealed lenses, changing lenses is often also not great, so I will stick to the zoom. If I ever wanted a weather sealed prime though, I would probably want something in the 17-20mm range.

14. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    This is a good point, but I would still buy a weather sealed prime in the 17-25mm f/2 range for days when the weather is iffy. I wouldn't even bother bringing other lenses.

• Wow Wow x 1
  15. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'll add my thoughts. Weather sealed primes? Don't interest me. Why? I tend to require more than one focal length when shooting, so weather sealed zooms provide me with a better solution based on how I choose to shoot. I would not want to have to deal with trying to keep everything dry and swapping lenses.

16. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Nope. sleepy_80_anim_.

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Maybe not a small one but definitely a re-release of the 75f1.8 weather sealed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think a small weather-sealed fast prime would be wonderful.

For most day-to-day uses, a zoom would be better. But for night time photography when it's wet and rainy, a fast prime would be perfect, and you just can't beat the light you get in the city with lights reflected on the wet pavement through the rain...

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    the only thing i don't like is the fact that some weather sealed zooms extend while zooming, if it was all internal i think i'd be more comfortable taking them out into the elements, id probably leave it at one focal length anyway.

that's interesting to hear, thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    All the time...if they can make an excellent 12-50 zoom lens with great macro capabilities or a fast macro prime (60) that are weathersealed in a small/light package, there's absolutely no reason that the 12, 25, 45, 75, etc shouldn't be sealed as well.

One of my biggest complaints about Olympus is the lack of affordable weathersealed lenses...