1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone doing VR - Rift, Vive, Gear VR, etc?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm thinking of buying one, probably a Rift. Anyone here doing VR?

2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Not yet, but I'm starting to think about it.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Oculus Rift: Facebook bought them and have some extremely dodgy terms in their licensing agreements. They've also found evidence of the Rift drivers phoning home to Facebook to send in performance reports. Maybe it's just telemetry, but Facebook's privacy record is so terrible, that I wouldn't trust one on my machine. I've played with earlier versions of the headsets and wasn't impressed, though they've supposedly come a long way.

The HTC Vive has been getting a lot of excellent review and their partnership with Valve makes me think they might be the way to go.

It's still very early in the VR game. In the next few years, we'll see both of the major consoles come out with their own hardware implementations (Sony Mirage? Myriad? I forget their codename) and Microsoft's Hololens which I expect to work on both PC's and Xboxes.

The VR headset you buy now will probably not be the VR headset you want in five years. You are paying an early adopter fee at this point.

Let us know if you take the plunge!

• Like Like x 1