Anyone develop color?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Some say it's no more difficult than B&W with the new processes and chemicals. Thinking about giving it a try. I have a small scanner so no need for an enlarger or any of the other chemicals.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I've been looking at the CineStill C41 2-step kit, which looks relatively simple and fairly cost effective. Shelf life of the chemistry is officially about 2 months, does something like 8 rolls IIRC, so would need to accumulate and process periodically. IIRC, it is available in powder form, saving shipping. Plenty of youtube on this. Will probably go this way this winter, as I am shooting more MF film.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have not done it recently but in the past developed colour negatives and slides. A few of us got together to purchase the gear.
Once we purchased a heater / bath and canester setup to keep the chemicals the right temperature for repeatable results it became a lot easier.
If I was doing it again I would get a bath that had built in agitation as well.

It was a lot of fun, but in the end I went back to B&W as the cost of printing colour was just too much for me.

Hope you have fun. All this talk of developing brings back so many good memories. In the end while I now take digital it has no soul for me.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I've developed E6 which is straightforward enough so long as you can read a manual. Proper temperature control is an absolute must for consistency. Medium format transparencies are a joy to process because you have the finished product straight out of the film drum.

I have never found it cost effective to process C-41.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all.

I've been looking at the CineStill C41 2-step kit, which looks relatively simple and fairly cost effective. Shelf life of the chemistry is officially about 2 months, does something like 8 rolls IIRC, so would need to accumulate and process periodically. IIRC, it is available in powder form, saving shipping. Plenty of youtube on this. Will probably go this way this winter, as I am shooting more MF film.
I've was looking at that same kit. It almost seems you could do this with hot tap water. The videos I've seen make it look fairly straight forward.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I used to do my own colour printing with my LPL 7700 MX Dichroic colour enlarger and Jobo CPE-2 Plus motorised and heated drum processor but haven't used them for a long time. I really enjoyed it and using the drum system meant that the light was off only whilst the paper was put into the drum. Must start thinking of selling but haven't a clue what price to ask.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I used to do my own colour printing with my LPL 7700 MX Dichroic colour enlarger and Jobo CPE-2 Plus motorised and heated drum processor but haven't used them for a long time. I really enjoyed it and using the drum system meant that the light was off only whilst the paper was put into the drum. Must start thinking of selling but haven't a clue what price to ask.
Asking about processing, not printing.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Asking about processing, not printing.
Oh, Sorry.
(I should also have mentioned that, although I only did printing, you can buy a film processing tank for the Jobo tank system which makes things very easy as you can set the temperature very accurately and the drums rotate and are lightproof. It was cheaper to let someone else process the film and get the negs and 6x4 prints from which I chose the best to enlarge etc. with the gear I have.)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
It was cheaper to let someone else process the film and get the negs
Would that be true for 135? Just doing some light looking right now, but it appears that you could develop at home for quite a bit less. I just dropped off 3 rolls for developing only ay my local camera store. They will sleeve and return the negatives for $10/roll, no printing or scanning. I have a small scanner at home capable of negative processing, it saves as a 14MP jpeg, which should be plenty for the vast majority of what I shoot. If I ever did need something with higher resolution for printing I can send it off to someone to scan, but this would be extremely rare.

I've tossed this around for years, never acting on it. I think a one-time purchase for a tank/reel/bottles/etc. and the needed chemicals would work out to be cheaper by a decent margin.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Would that be true for 135? Just doing some light looking right now, but it appears that you could develop at home for quite a bit less. I just dropped off 3 rolls for developing only ay my local camera store. They will sleeve and return the negatives for $10/roll, no printing or scanning. I have a small scanner at home capable of negative processing, it saves as a 14MP jpeg, which should be plenty for the vast majority of what I shoot. If I ever did need something with higher resolution for printing I can send it off to someone to scan, but this would be extremely rare.

I've tossed this around for years, never acting on it. I think a one-time purchase for a tank/reel/bottles/etc. and the needed chemicals would work out to be cheaper by a decent margin.
Not too sure but google Jobo and see if they are still manufacturing/selling. You should be able to find out if they did a 135 drum. Maybe get a used setup?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Not too sure but google Jobo and see if they are still manufacturing/selling. You should be able to find out if they did a 135 drum. Maybe get a used setup?
Yeah, every once in a while there's something on CL but it usually includes a ton of trays/enlargers etc. Since I am a total neophyte with regard to this I'd need to research. Still hoping someone who does it will pop in and tell me if I'm spitting into the wind!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I continue to research before I spend. Looks like a cheap ($70) Sous Vide machine is the best way to go for consistent temperature. I am going to get a two-roll developing tank, I think. I don't want to do one at a time, but I also don't think I'll be developing 3 or 4 rolls at once very often. A changing bag will be needed.

Really the only things I need to get that can't be repurposed from something else are the tank and bag. Things like bottles, a beaker or graduated pitcher/measuring cup, bottle opener, timer, clips for drying can all be repurposed from other uses or purchased very inexpensively.

I've also decided that if I'm going to do this, my little Wolverine Snap 14MP scanner will be retired for an Epson 600. While the Wolverine may provide 14MP images, the quality is lacking.

From a chemical standpoint, I may go with the powdered so I can mix in smaller batches, although it sounds like the shelf life is much longer if they're kept in dark bottles in a cool dry place. I may have to take one for the team and drink some beer in quart sized bottles for this one.

If I don't count my time, it looks to me to be cost effective. I found one complete kit of chemicals that cost just under $80 and it will develop 80 rolls of film. It worked out to $0.98/roll. That's probably under perfect circumstances in experienced hands, but even twice that would be a really big savings over the $10/roll at the local camera shop. I would start with a much smaller kit first even at a higher cost per roll until I get the hang of it. I figure the initial outlay for equipment won't be realized until I hit about 40 rolls, which for me is a ways down the road. But this is more about trying something new and acquiring a new set of skills than it is dollars. Heck, I've spent a lot more than this on a lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom