1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone compared the Oly 12mm vs Rokinon 12mm just for Astrophotography

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Catch22nm, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    Anyone compared the Oly 12 and the Rokinon 12 F2.0 lenses? I am looking to buy a wide angle for MFT for milky way shots and I was wondering if anyone had used both or knows of any reviews that compare both specifically for astro shooting. I dont really care about autofocus as I mainly want to use this for astro. Size is not a huge issue for me as well.

What I do care about is.
    1) which do you guys feel will achieve better results for Milky way shots (away from city)
    2) does one have a wider viewing angle (even though they are both listed at 12mm)
    3) which has better features for astro (better focus ring stiffness etc)
    4) Is there another wide lens I should be looking at for MFT that is under 600 (please don't tell me to use FF I know that they are superior but I don't want to lug the weight)

thanks for any help you can give :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well I've got the PL15 f/1.7 and 12-40 f/2.8 that are on paper fast, good to the edges and wide enough to be useful, but I find myself using the Samyang 7.5 manual fisheye almost exclusively.

Setting and forgetting with manual focus and aperture is nice for this sort of thing. It's sharp enough at f/3.5 with very little coma, and the huge angle of view means I can go a bit longer with shutter speed rather than boosting ISO (typically ISO 1600, 30s exposures). By stacking multiple shots I can live with the resulting residual noise. Kind of wish they made it an f/2.8 stereoscopic projection like the APS-C version though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    Ahh thanks, I do mainly photos with objects or buildings and the milky way (in the background) and I was hoping to not have to defish everything. I also have the samyang 7.5 and the 12-40 2.8 but I was hoping for something a bit faster and not fished :)

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's actually all I do too, which is why I like the fisheye. I can easily get both the foreground and the sky nicely in the frame without resorting to crazy angles or being forced to only shoot the Milky Way on the horizon (I don't always shoot in dark skies so the horizon has too much light pollution or haze).

I must admit my PP process to stack, defish and correct multiple fisheye shots is not for the faint of heart!

5. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    I use the 12mm oly for astrophotography and it's great. The manual focus clutch means I don't have to worry about fiddling with focus-by-wire. It's fast enough at F2 to let the stars in and it's sharp edge-to-edge.

under the umbrella

20517444193_59236db950_z. 2015 Alpha Aurigids

I haven't used the rokinons/samyangs, but I hear good things! They've made a bit of a name for themselves in the astrophotography sphere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi there!

Take a look at this link:
    How to Pick a Lens for Milky Way Photography

Go all the way down to "affordable lenses for landscape astrophotography" where it describes what makes Rokinon prime lenses so good for astrophotography. It even has the 12mm prime lens as the top choice for mirrorless cameras.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

7. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Your shot of the Aphasia Aurigids is simply amazing! :)

8. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    thanks! I got lucky with that one. :)

I love my 12mm.