Anyone can comment on what lenses are good?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ante, Jul 15, 2012.

1. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Hi forum,

I am brand new to this community so first, hi, and you have a great site! It helped me decide on buying a G3 for my wife since she wants to go into some more serious photography. I was a serious amateur (hmm... seriously into amateur photography :smile:) in my young days but for the last 20 so years have only had P&S cams. I think this forum is getting me into this, so we'll see if the wife will see much of that cam... :wink:

Now, we went into a flea market today, and came out with the following stuff. I would appreciate much if someone could tell if any of this is worth keeping? Most of the lenses seems to be in good condition after I cleaned them up from dust. Cam is worn and has no batteries so I do not know if it works.

The whole kit was $15. I think it's worth that? But should I sell some of it off?
    We got the following:
    Rolleiflex SL35 E camera body with motor
    Rolleinar 55mm f1.4
    Zoom-Rolleinar 80-200mm f4
    Tamron 28mm f2.5 with adaptall2 to Rolleiflex
    Nikon Lens Series E 35mm f2.5
    Nikon Lens Series E 100mm f2.8
    Nikon teleconverter TC-200
    Nikon PK-13 (what's this?)

Also, do you have any recommendations for adapters? I am not sure about the Nikon mount. Is it what they call an F mount on these lenses? The R. lenses are QBM I have found, correct?

Really would appreciate some comment and help!

Andy

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    $15? You got quite a bargain. The Nikon 100/2.8 alone is worth several times that, assuming it's functional. The Rolleinar needs a Rollei SL35 adapter, and the Nikons need an F mount adapter. The 100 and 55 should be pretty good. The 28 might be interesting. I expect the teleconverter won't offer much qualitywise, but it's probably worth trying. The PK-13 is an extension tube (lets you focus closer) - give it a shot with the 100/2.8.

I'd suggest starting by getting a Nikon F adapter (eBay has them for $10 or so), and seeing which ones you like. Longer focal lengths are generally easier to focus accurately, but shorter are easier to hold steady.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Welcome!

The Rolleinar 55mm f1.4 is good. It is Japanese-made c.1977-81. Adapted to G3, it should perform quite nicely.

The Nikon PK-13 is an extension tube suitable for macro use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks!

dhazeghi: Thanks very much! I will order adapters for both Nikon and QMB, I think. It is certainly worth trying all this.

0dBm: thanks to you too! I thougt as much as usually 1.4 lenses are the better ones, right? Can't wait to try them out and see the bokeh etc.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "I thougt as much as usually 1.4 lenses are the better ones, right?"
    Well, not necessarily. I just have a preference for lenses with wide apertures.:smile:

Good luck with this kit. Post some images when you have it setup.

6. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Ok, 0dBm, let's see what comes out once I receive the adapters.

Anyone has any of these lenses and care to share an example image?

7. Arminius

Arminius  

Jul 12, 2012
    Germany and England
    Johannes
    Do you...

Want to sell me: Tamron 28mm f2.5 with adaptall2 to Rolleiflex?

:wink:

8. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Could be... later

I want to try these lenses before I decide if I have too many. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Huh? You can't have too many. I don't think that's even possible. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    First out: Tamron 28mm

I finally got the adapters for my legacy lenses. First out is the Tamron lens, which I think in the first picture of the rose gives a pretty good result. But the bokeh in the second image of the lamp, does not appeal to me much. I know that is not a good composition, made just as an example.
    I will post more examples of the other lenses. Unfortunately I lost the Rolleinar 50mm f1.4 to fungus...
    But, I found another flea market - and came home with three new cams: Another Rolleiflex 35E, this time with a Planar 50mm f1.8, a Canon AE-1 with the normal 50mm f1.8, and a Revueflex-B with a Schneider Kreuznach 50mm f1.9. Again $15 for the lot... :biggrin: I go with you Ned - no too many lenses.

Attached Files:

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Wow, I am envious! For a grand total of $30, you get so many toys to play with!

You are right about the bokeh in the second image. They are dizzying to look at!

Keep your images coming, and perhaps some images of all your new gears!

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Why can't I find flea markets like this? A great lens haul at a terrific price. Enjoy them! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    And the next up is... the Nikon 100mm f2.8

Thanks for your comments guys. I definitely did not intend to make anyone envious. But I have to admit, I am one of these guys who really enjoy a good bargain :biggrin:

Well, here is the next runner up... it is the... Nikon lens series E, 100 mm f2.8. First I took a regular picture, just to see the sharpness. Then I added the PK-13 extension tubes. I think the bee image is not too bad. Okay, illumination could be better, but for regular light, free hand, I am satisfied.

Btw... I do not mind constructive criticism. I am, after all, a rookie. :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    And... Zoom Rolleinar 80-200mm f4

The next lens is the Zoom Rolleinar 80-200mm f4. Now, this lens has some fungus problems. But it does not seem to affect the image quality too much, from what I can see. I quite like the bokeh of this lens! :smile:

Attached Files:

15. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Rolleinar HFT Planar 50mm f1.8

The next lens is the Rollei Planar 50mm f1.8. This seems to be a really sharp lens! Perhaps my ability to focus correctly with the G3 is still limited though... :smile:

You like? :smile:

Attached Files:

16. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    bump

bump

no interest? :smile:

17. deprivedofsleep

deprivedofsleep Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    I suspect everyone is at their local flea-market trying to find themselves cheap lenses. ;)

I like the bee shot very much, can have some real fun with that Nikon 100 and the extension tube.

I'll be off searching car boot sales this weekend I think!

18. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks deprived,

that must be it huh? :biggrin:

Thanks for the nice comment on the bee. I am waiting for some more adapters, and to fix the 35mm Nikon lens which is in a bad shape. Will be back with more pics. I found two large flea markets coming weekend, so we'll see what those bring.

Good luck in your search and thanks for responding!

19. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    3FleaMarketResults.
    I thought I would post a picture of my first collection of lenses and cameras. I do not plan to keep the cameras, but probably most lenses. Details in my profile. These are the result of $50 spent on my first three flea markets. :biggrin:

I think my strobing skills need improving. This was taken with a G3 with built-in flash, and one slave flash which I got included with the stuff shown. Actually there were an additional two flashes that I forgot to include... :tongue: