Anyone buying the silver E-M1 Mark II?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Don't worry they'll probably re-release the silver models towards EOL like they did with all of their other 'limited edition' stuff (black versions of their primes, etc).

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’v never liked the silver version of em1, and still don’t get it with this version either.
But I see that a lot of people love it, so I guess I am the grumpy old one. :)

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I have a silver X70, other than that make mine black please.

The best looking "silver" OM-D of recent times was the Titanium edition E-M5 II. That was a good looking camera.
I will admit the Titanium and Graphite versions are attractive.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
Love the silver versions. I have the silver E-M1.1 and E-P5 and had the silver E-M10. Look good with both black and silver lenses.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I really like the look of the silver bodies (the original E-M1 aside - that had too much silver), but the pragmatist in me would never buy one new. The problem is that all modern silver finishes are not bare machined metal, but just paint or some other form of coating. As soon as the thing is used the coating starts coming off in the corners and wherever it gets bumped and looks kind of terrible, not the look of worn metal at all. Somehow the look of black finish wearing down to bare metal manages to look better in my eyes.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I agree the wearing silver coating of today do not equal the brassing as it was sometimes called in older cameras

brassing.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
The black dials on silver body look like something you'd find on a toy camera. I prefer the look of the silver mk. I or as somebody else said, the E-P5.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Totally agree with @wjiang . Oly silver cameras are just painted and don't stand the test of time as well as the black versions (which are also painted). On top of that, I personally think they look cheap!

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
E935460F-06D9-484C-A072-6150778203FC.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
The silver on my E-M10 II looks as good now as the day I bought it over two years ago. It also matches my 25 and 17 primes perfectly while still looking the part with a black 12-40. I smile every time I see my camera!

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
The finish of the chrome plated film cameras lasted longer because it was chrome. Rather than wearing through, the matt finish just got polished smooth.

The black as in @retiredfromlife picture is black "paint" on brass. And paint wears a lot easier and faster than chrome. Although I think/thought Leica used black chrome on some of their cameras.

Black plastic looks like . . . black plastic. More durable than black paint, but still plastic.

Latest threads

Top Bottom