1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone buying the new Pana X 12-35/2.8 next week?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by phdezra, Jun 19, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    I saw a few older threads on here discussing the one or two reviews (the famous Korean one) of the new Panasonic 12-35, but wondering what the current sentiment is about the new lens and if any on here plan on buying it?

I like my simple Oly 14-42 (it actually produces very good images), but I *adore* my PL 25/1.4. Ergo, I'd like high-end zoom similar to the Canon 24-70/2.8L that I used a few years ago, and I do believe the sensor in the m/43 can make very good usage of the better optics.

So, I believe the lens is being released in Japan in two days and then in US soon, and I plan to get my hands on one somehow. Anyone else planning on taking the plunge?

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm not planning to buy it simply because I can't afford it. Food and house repairs come first :(

I'm looking forward to seeing it on the used market a year from now.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Eh... Not a zoom fan, and I already have the 12-50 and it has more range and macroish mode, and it was cheaper. Lol

- Eliot@Austin, TX

4. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    No funds to even think about it now... But once the dust settles and the samples start rolling in and my bonus arrives in my account... Maybe...

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I've got one delivering to my friend's house in Japan. Should have it in a couple of weeks.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    You sure it'll actually be available next week? =P

And no, I'll wait for the used market. I am reserving my purchase money for the 35-100 first.

7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I want it very badly...but it will involve some sacrifices (who needs to eat?)

I don't have any lenses below the PL25, so it would be a nice walk-around lens, then reserving the 25 for low-light situations.

That being said, maybe I should just stick with the 25 as my everyday lens and take a few steps forward or back to compensate!

8. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    I have the 25/1.4 glued (practically) to my E-P3. My goal is to glue the 12-35/2.8 to my E-M5 (unless there's that rare reason to haul out the 75-300).

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    After my negative experience with the 14-42X lens, I've got a wait-and-see attitude on this one. If it's a very, very good lens, then maybe I'll start saving for it. But I've got that focal length well covered already, so...

10. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011

#1. Next week?!

#2. (As we talked about before)....When these two lens were announced (what seems like years ago) I only had eyes for the 35-100...

Lately as I have photographed more "event" type situations, food, fairs, etc; I realize the 12-35 would be perfect for them. No more fumbling around between my 3 (wonderful) 12, 20 & 45mm primes...

While I am dying for the 35-100mm as well (since these two badboy zooms would pretty much have me covered for such events), I am almost 99% sure I will getting the 12-35 ASAP...

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I voted no, but not because of cost - this is a lens for event (and maybe street?) photographers, if that is what you do, this lens 100% makes sense (and being a photographer of events usually involves money, which would pay for the lens so cost wouldn't be an issue). Since I'm not an event or street photographer, there is no need for fast and wide, with landscapes I'm content with just wide lenses! The 35-100mm on the other hand, well, it'll be giving my pentax da* 50-135mm a run for its money.

12. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Have it om preorder fr.o.m. Amazon.co.uk.

13. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I've only got the one body (ha!), so my decision is harder...I adore the PL25, but would love a bit of give when it comes to focal length. The f2.8 concerns me though...losing a lot of DOF.

14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Will probably give the 12-35 the skip for the time being to be considered at a later date, but will almost certainly get the 35-100.

The general idea is to have 1 or maybe even both in time for a 4 week snowboard trip to Japan mid-January. The 2 weather sealed zooms and either the P20 or PL25 with the EM5 body looks like becoming my general hunting/fishing/snowboarding and tourism kit.

15. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Yeah, the 25mm is my favorite lens by far. And the main reason for buying this as well. If the quality is anything like the reviewers and Panasonic claims it will be worth the investment. Except for my family and work there is nothing that have given me so much joy the last six months as the 25mm. So I see it as an investment in my well being :)

16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Another one waiting for the 35-100 here. Dying for fast longer zoom.

17. DeFrank

DeFrank Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    /UK
    I am very lucky to have the 12, 25, and 45mm primes which are all fantastic lenses. However I do tend to be lazy by keeping the 25mm on my camera most of the time.

My brother is going to Japan this autumn: depending on reviews and user thoughts I'm thinking he could get me a 12-35 for versatility and I can keep the 25mm when I want a wide aperture/smaller size.

I won't miss a stop on the wide angle lens and haven't made much use of the 45mm.... decisions.

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Availability in the US is likely to be a lot later than next week - or am I wrong?

19. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    voted no

But its not for the cost, its because of the review showing it to be softer than the 12-50 at F8.
    I could use a weathersealed high quality zoom for hiking, but ill wait for more test to see if i buy it , or wait for an oly one, or buy the 12-60 + adapter.

20. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    I'd love to but I'm going to stick with the 12/20/45mm combo for now. I like having the extra light for more challenging scenes.