1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone Buying Olympus' New Action Cam: TG Tracker?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Philip Scott, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Just wondering if any other Oly fans out there are going to add the Oly TG Tracker to their MF3 kit? I know it's not MF3 etc., but it does look cool.
    I love my Pen-F and my OMD M5 MkII, but when I saw this little guy I thought it'd be awesome for travel and boating and so on. I ordered a black one from B&H that arrives today with the carry case.

A few links for those not familiar:

Tough TG-Tracker | Olympus

Olympus TG Tracker review | Cameralabs

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have a Sony action cam and this looks 10 times better: lcd(!), no external case(!), it just looks great.

I do not use it very much (I feel too stupid with a cam on the helmet) so I may be selling the Sony rather the upgrading but this is what I was looking for a couple of years ago.

The only thing it's missing is a remote Rec switch (wired is ok) so that you can easily start/stop recording without change your position too much. I mean a big button that you can fix to the handlebar or jacket and press with one hand while you are driving.

3. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    I guess they rely on the Olympus app for that remote start/stop. I would think if you're 'driving' you just let it run.
    Smart that they include a base that lets one use all the GoPro mounts....I have a whole bunch of those.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    While I'm looking at picking up an action camera, I'm not looking at the Olympus. I was waiting for Sony to release the FDR-X2000, taking all the best stuff from their X1000V, improving it, and combining it with the new menu structure found on the FDR-AS50. But, it still hasn't come out yet.

The camera I'm most interested in now is the Xiaomi Yi2. $250, 4K video, touchscreen on the back. Initial reviews are starting to trickle out, and it performs very well when compared against the GoPro Hero 4 Black, at only half the price.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Yes, I also think that is their idea. But when you drive for several days or even 6/8 hours in a day you do not want to fill memory cards with boring stuff that you just have to discard later at home, draining the battery at the same time for nothing. And if the power and rec button are on the top of your head everything gets more complicated :)

I also do not think there is a power in to connect it to a 12v adapter. Mine is just a different usage from the intended one, something like the Garmin VIRB is much closer to what I would need.

6. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Just returned from #outofchicago photo conference where I won a m4/3 mount LensBaby. Tried it and decided it's not for me, so when I get mine I'm not even opening the box. Going to sell it. So, I went ahead and ordered a TG Tracker. I have the Yi 1 Action camera and it's cool, but the Tracker has (at 4x the price) cooler features plus I've seen what Jamie MacDonald and Mike Boening have been doing with theirs (check out Tracker Facebook group). Looking forward to playing with it!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The Yi 1 was good for what it was (a blatant GoPro knock-off, with a poorer sensor and optical design). The Yi 2 is a far better camera though, with excellent optics, a top-of-the-line sensor, image stabilization, a fully integrated rear LCD (like on the Hero 4 Silver), and better battery life than the Hero 4 Black.

I always viewed the Yi 1 as a cute little toy, while I view the Yi 2 as a serious action cam competitor.