1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone buying a slate/tablet this year?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    CES announced a ton of them. This year, we can expect:
    • Many Android slates
    • Some Windows 7 tablets
    • WebOS slates to be announced early Feb
    • Blackberry Playbook (running QNX)
    • At least one more iPad
    • Possibly a slate based on Windows Phone 7

I'm personally very interested to pick up a slate this year. Leaning towards Android since thats how I roll on the phone side of things but open to all possibilities (well almost all :rolleyes:).

Anyone else thinking of picking up a tab/slate this year?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I don't think so as I bought an iPad last year I don't think I can get away with another one this year

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm going to hold off as long as I can, but I can feel myself weakening!

• Like Like x 1
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I've been using tablets since the Compaq TC1000 came out. In recent years, I've been forced to accept convertibles (laptop with swivel touch/ink screen), despite preferring the TC1000's true slate form factor (computer internals are kept within screen unit; detachable keyboard is just that, a keyboard, and nothing more.) I'm glad to see that the technology has improved enough to let these reach their true potential. Prices will continue to fall with all the new competitors to the iPad, so in a year, I'll probably pick one up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    We already own an iPad and have been very happy with it. It's in constant use around my home and the office.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 3
  7. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Love my iPad, see no reason to update this year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I will get a ipad once they add a webcam. And will add the usb adapter for transferring photo from a sd card.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The rumor is that the iPad 2 will have an SD slot. Makes a lot of sense for a photo display device. I'd love to see a version of Lightroom optimized for slates. Stick in the SD, hit import, drag a few sliders on the touch screen, and have options to export straight to iPad gallery, Flickr, and Mu-43 gallery :smile:.

• Like Like x 2
  10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Yup, that would be sweet, but I would like a usb port also, if the camera maker makes tether apps, it would give it a very light setup.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I'll buy a Linux tablet at some point.

All the best,

Colin

12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My wife bought an iPad last Summer and after eight months I can definitely say that I want one myself. I'll wait until the version 2 ships but it's a great piece of tech and for me could take the place of my laptop for most of what I do. Also, the camera kit works quite well.

13. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Still not sure what I'd use the tablet for that my iPhone can't do. I've had a tablet PC for a long time now, and haven't found a real use for the tablet functionality part of it yet. I'll stick to my desktop and my phone for the foreseeable future.

14. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I got an iPad for Christmas and I think it's fantastic. Previously I had quite a poor opinion of them, having played with them a few times in the Apple stores, but having it at home and within an hour of setting it up I was hooked on it!

For light browsing/sofa surfing it's perfect. I made the mistake of mentioning it to a friend of mine who went into his usual anti-apple tirade after I said that tablets will be great if/when android update their os for tablets and prices come to around £250ish, as I'd also played with the Galaxy S and felt it was very clunky and priced a bit too close to the iPad for what it offered (in my case anyways).

He was saying how the Windows 7 tablets are much better as they're almost a full on computer in a tablet. Personally, I think it would be awful to use a tablet as a desktop/laptop replacement. It's bad enough using a netbook for long periods of typing, multitasking.

Then it was all about them not having a camera when android/windows ones do/will and I have to say, I don't understand why you'd want a camera (webcam, could be useful) on a slate/tablet. I couldn't imagine anything more cumbersome than trying to hold my iPad and a try and touch a shutter button like you have on an iPhone.

I can't really see what an iPad 2 might do that would make me want to upgrade though. As I said before, it's been faultless for what I've been using it for and for anything more demanding/important, I've got a 3 year old MacBook (which has seen a lot less use since I got this) that will fill that requirement.

15. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I hope to get one - but I will wait for the iPad 2 and a few systems to hit the market.

As a professional nerd I must confess a Windows 7 tablet, if done well, would be the most interesting in that I could install all of my development and management tools for work PLUS have a copy of Lightroom. Unfortunately Windows 7 does not lend itself very well to the tablet form factor - they would likely need a Windows Phone/Zune layer.

I hope Microsoft releases a Windows Phone 7 based tablet (I like the Zune interface better than Android and Apple).

Ideally what I would like would be for VMware to create a virtualization layer that would allow me to easily run Windows 7, Windows Phone 7, Android, WebOS, ChromeOS and Linux on the same tablet. Because I am, after all, a true geek.

16. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Been thinking about the iPad, if I can have it work as a giant GPS. I think that's about the size screen, I'd really need if I were to use a GPS.

If money were no object, I'm sure I'd have gotten one already.:wink:

17. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Dragos, like minds think alike but....
    If they put a phone in iPad 2 with Bluetooth....
    I could Change my way of thinking.

18. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

That's exactly what I'd like. I'd call it the Boomer Version.:biggrin: In my case it's all down to eyesight.

19. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Hello? Can you hear me now?

Apple-iPad-picture-modifi-001.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Richard,
    Ya'd think that guy would be smart enuff to use an iPhone.